Curtis has a multi-faceted practice that spans commercial finance, particularly commercial real estate, and litigation. He routinely represents lenders in all aspects of the loan process, from drafting, reviewing, and modifying loan documents to dealing with title issues and closing loans in multiple states. His experience covers myriad types of loans, including standard construction loans, nonrecourse financing, and mezzanine loans as well as larger syndicated deals. His practice also manages special assets and distressed loan matters, including loan workouts, foreclosure proceedings and bankruptcy. Leveraging his business and litigation background, Curtis’ experience enables him to counsel clients with respect to evaluating risk and protecting their interests throughout their relationships with their respective clientele.
He has represented clients in a variety of other matters with a particular focus on workplace safety, contingency preparation and emergency management, and regulatory enforcement related to these issues. Curtis has extensive experience representing businesses in dealings with governmental and regulatory agencies, particularly the United States Mine Safety and Health Administration and Occupational Safety and Health Administration, on safety regulatory matters and accident investigations. His understanding of workplace safety law enables him to employ a meticulous approach when counseling companies regarding regulatory violations and accident, fatality, and special investigations.
Curtis has experience in the areas of corporate structure and governance, secured transactions, governmental relations, campaign finance, and appellate practice. He has also coordinated and taught law to doctoral students at the University of Charleston School of Pharmacy.
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 2001)
- Member, International Law Society
- Marshall University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1998)
- Dean's List
- Outstanding Graduate for Political Science Department
- Judith B. Herndon Legislative Fellow
- Political Science
- West Virginia
- Southern District of West Virginia
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
- Hidden Valley Country Club, Inc., member of Board of Directors and General Counsel
- Putnam County Chamber of Commerce - Generation Putnam, Treasurer and Executive Board Member
- Leadership Putnam County, Class of 2011
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- Selected for the West Virginia Rising Stars® List