Dirk Bedarff has over 25 years of experience in all facets of public finance and serves as bond, underwriter's and bank's counsel to a broad range of clients, including state agencies, cities, counties, universities, school districts and other special districts. He regularly advises governmental units in both Colorado and Kentucky on constitutional and statutory (state and federal) considerations relating to the issuance of financing obligations, such as the impact of TABOR on Colorado issuers and the impact of tax and debt limits in the Kentucky constitution on Kentucky issuers, as well as structuring issues in relation to outstanding and future debt. In the Commonwealth of Kentucky, he also regularly advises state agencies and departments, such as the Kentucky Infrastructure Authority, with respect to general legal matters associated with their financing programs.
In addition to an extensive government finance practice, including general obligation financing, tax increment financing, state revolving fund financing, utility and other revenue-backed or appropriation-backed financing, Dirk brings his previous work experience in the banking industry to bear on projects benefiting a broad range of corporate entities, such as health care institutions, non-profit organizations and private schools and colleges.
Dirk is a frequent speaker at municipal workshops and conferences sponsored by organizations such as the Kentucky League of Cities and, the Kentucky Department of Local Government. He also regularly authors articles on public finance subjects, including the chapter on Municipal finance and investments in the Kentucky League of Cities' City Officials Legal Handbook.
Dirk is an avid outdoorsman and traveler, with a particular interest in skiing and mountain biking.
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., 1984)
- University of Denver (B.S.B.A., 1981)
- State of Colorado Municipal Bond Supervision Advisory Board, Member
- Colorado, Southwest Colorado, Northern Kentucky and Kentucky Bar Associations
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- "Small Issues, Exempt Facilities and Enterprise Zones", Bond Attorneys' Workshop, Chicago, Illinois, 1993-1995, 1997 Panelist
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Public Finance
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Cincinnati for Public Finance Law, by The Best Lawyers in America®, 2017