Ernest is a member of our Intellectual Property Department who has a long and distinguished 45 year career as an intellectual property law practitioner. He has chaired the Patent, Copyright and Trademark Section of the State Bar of Michigan and served as Arbitrator of the American Arbitration Association.
He has been involved in litigation in almost every state in the U.S. and has conducted IP jury trials in Michigan, Ohio, Florida and Nevada. He has also been an expert witness in a number of patent suits.
Ernest has been active in the Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association, the American Intellectual Property Law Association and the American Bar Association. He is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the Florida State Bar and the Oakland, Macomb, Genesee and American Bar Associations. He is admitted to practice before Michigan courts, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court, and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Ernest is a member of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
Since 1981, Ernest has been an instructor in the Paralegal Program at Oakland University. He has also been an Adjunct Professor at Stetson Law School in St. Petersburg, Florida teaching a class in patent and copyright law. He has taught in the IP Masters program at Cooley Law School in Michigan He has authored a number of articles and publications in patent, trademark and copyright law as well as lectured extensively on these subjects at seminars and programs.
- Wayne State University Law School (J.D., 1960)
- Michigan State University (A.B., 1956)
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- State Bar of Michigan
- Intellectual Property Law, Law Practice Management & Legal Administrators, and Master Lawyers Sections; Past Chair, Patent Copyright and Trademark Section
- Representative Assembly
- Florida State Bar Association
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Genesee County Bar Association
- Macomb County Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association