Jacob Manning advises businesses and individuals in a variety of business transactions, both domestic and cross-border. He drafts and reviews contracts, particularly those involving sales of goods, distributorships and licensing, and construction, vendor and service contracts on behalf of boards of education and other public entities. When clients are negotiating a contract, Jacob also provides advice about payment, including guarantees and letters of credit. Should a dispute arise, he represents clients both before US courts and in arbitration subject to international rules.
As a litigator, Jacob takes time to understand what a client’s goals and needs are and where he fits into their business — whether protecting their rights or ensuring payment for goods or services. He focuses a significant portion of his practice on construction law and represents owners — particularly public entities —contractors, subcontractors, and material suppliers in litigation as well as during contract negotiations. He also represents clients in international transactions and advises companies interested in obtaining trade financing.
Jacob also advises businesses and individuals confronted with commercial fraud. As a member of the UN Commission on International Trade’s Group of Experts on Commercial Fraud, Jacob met with experts from around the world to discuss commercial fraud, and ultimately, he helped draft the “Indicators of Commercial Fraud”, which was produced to educate the Commission’s member states and organizations about fraud. Jacob has also spoken in the United States and abroad about fraud.
- George Mason University School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- First Place Team, Best Oral Advocate and Best Brief Winner, 2003 National Moot Court Competition, Region IV; Octofinalist, 2004 National Moot Court Competition, Final Rounds
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., 2001)
- West Virginia
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Northern District of West Virginia
- Southern District of West Virginia
- Northern District of Ohio
- Southern District of Ohio
- Scam Survey Editor, Documentary Credit World
- Adjunct Lecturer, Appellate Advocacy, West Virginia University School of Law
- Member, Group of Experts Meetings on Commercial Fraud, United Nations Commission on International Trade Law
- President, Board of Directors of the Greater Wheeling Coalition for the Homeless
- Member, West Virginia District Export Council
- Co-Chair, Task Force on Model ISP98 Governmentally Mandated Standbys
- Member, Board of Directors of HOH Share, Inc.
- Member, Catholic Charities Neighborhood Center Advisory Council
- Recipient of the 2011 Generation Next: 40 Under 40 award by The State Journal
- Selected for the West Virginia Rising Stars® List
- Leadership West Virginia, Class of 2016
- Export Compliance Professional - EAR (ECoP®)