Depth and variation describe John Merchant's nearly 30 years of public finance practice. Mr. Merchant has participated in traditional issue, economic development, and health care transactions, as bond and underwriter's counsel, for the issuance of obligations including bonds, notes and leases, for transactions throughout Ohio and Kentucky.
Mr. Merchant has served as bond/disclosure counsel for every general obligation, economic development revenue, and water revenue bond issue of the City of Cincinnati, Ohio since 2006.
Additionally, he has served as bond counsel and underwriter’s counsel for traditional issue financings related to schools and universities, transportation, and water and sewer projects, including new money transactions and advance and current refundings. These financings have included features such as governmental master trust agreements and subordinated and taxable debt.
As bond and underwriter's counsel for health care & other 501(c)(3) conduit transactions, he has experience with financing structures involving master trust indentures, leases, and financing agreements for private placements.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Merchant participated in public finance transactions in various positions with the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., 1982)
- Morehead State University (B.A., cum laude, 1979)
- District of Columbia
- Eastern District of Kentucky
- Western District of Kentucky
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Association for Governmental Leasing & Finance
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Black Lawyers Association of Cincinnati
- Cincinnati Center City Development Corporation (3CDC), Board Member
- Cincinnati Art Museum, Board Member
- Morehead State University Foundation, Inc., Board Member
- American College of Bond Counsel, Membership Selection Committee
- Selected for the Ohio Super Lawyers® List