Kara Stewart is a partner in the Litigation Department. Kara’s practice has an emphasis in products liability in which she defends both domestic and international manufacturers of products ranging from household appliances to ATVs. She is national counsel for a leading hearth and grill manufacturer and in that role has litigated cases in Colorado, California, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Canada, as well as Kentucky. Her products liability practice in recent years has involved defending claims of fires and explosions, electrical and burn injuries, ATV and automobile accidents, unwanted acceleration, airbag non-deployment and aircraft crashes. From 2009 to 2013, Kara represented Yamaha in MDL 2016, assisting in the coordination of more than 300 federal cases involving the Yamaha Rhino, a side-by-side off-road vehicle. At the same time, she served as co-trial counsel in the twelve MDL cases involving Kentucky plaintiffs.
Kara also has significant railroad law experience at the trial and appellate levels, including a defense verdict in an occupational FELA trial and three Kentucky Court of Appeals oral arguments which resulted in affirmed defense verdicts. In addition, she has had multiple summary judgment motions and defense verdicts affirmed on appeal without oral argument.
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D.)
- National Moot Court Team, 1999
- Furman University (B.A.)
- Political Science Honor Society; Pre-Law Society; Washington Center Internship; NCAA Division I Volleyball, 4 years, 1995
- Eastern District of Kentucky
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Western District of Kentucky
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Committee Member, Recreational Products Specialized Litigation Group
- Kentucky Defense Counsel
- Barrister of the Central Kentucky American Inn of Court
- Selected for the Kentucky Super Lawyers® List
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating (Preeminent)