Leveraging an MBA and law degree, with experience representing both international and domestic clients, Laura takes a practical, measured, comprehensive business-focused approach to achieve results for her clients. Laura guides her clients through the evolving challenges facing domestic and global companies, including corporate and gaming compliance, company formation, corporate governance, contract negotiation, mergers and acquisitions, and commercial lending.
A go-to lawyer on choice of entity, LLC and partnership formation, operation and sale or winding up issues, Laura currently sits on the American Bar Association’s LLC's and Partnership Committee, where she successfully chaired the drafting committee for the ABA's Model LLC Organizational checklist, resulting in publication of the annotated Checklist in the ABA’s Business Lawyer. Laura utilizes her legal, business and marketing experience to provide balanced, thoughtful and creative solutions to her clients from start-up to acquisitions to eventual sale of the company. Laura is active with Awesome Inc., a business incubator in Lexington, Kentucky as well as the UK Gatton School of Business and the Von Allmen Center for Entrepreneurship, where she has lectured and acts as a mentor in the entrepreneur bootcamp program.
Working as lender’s counsel for regional banks more than 17 years, Laura has closed over one billion dollars worth of commercial loan transactions. Her work includes real estate and asset-backed, middle market secured finance, Uniform Commercial Code Article 9 compliance and work-outs including loan documentation, inter-creditor agreements, subordination agreements, forbearance agreements and related documents. She is a member of the ABA's Commercial Finance Committee.
Nationally recognized as a leader in equine and gaming law, Laura effectively steers clients through the myriad of evolving state and federal regulations that govern the wagering industry. She previously served as associate general counsel for the Magna Entertainment Corporation (now Stronach Group) and as general counsel to Gulfstream Racetrack, allowing her to provide clients with the benefits of her unique perspectives into the operations of racing, gaming and entertainment companies. Her work with leading gaming officials and companies across the world, enable her to not only stay abreast of new developments and legislation within the gaming industry, but also to offer proactive insight and counsel to clients to mitigate their risk as they move forward. Her past work includes experience in simulcasting, pari-mutuel wagering, online wagering (ADW), fantasy sports contests, handicapping contests, charitable gaming, sweepstakes and promotions. Laura is a member of the International Masters of Gaming Law, the International Association of Gaming, Advisors and the ABA's Gaming Law Committee.
Representing owners, breeders and trainers, purchasers and sellers, racetracks and trade associations, Laura draws on her passion for the equine industry to counsel clients in equine deals, securities matters, tax and resolution of controversies. She handles a variety of matters for clients, including purchase and sales of horses, the structuring of racing and sport horse partnerships, syndication and sale of stallions and elite show horses, Southern Hemisphere shuttle agreements and the acquisition and sale of commercial horse farms. Laura is a trusted advisor on all matters equine for national and international clients. Laura chairs the University of Kentucky College of Law's Annual National Equine Law Conference and is adjunct professor of Law at the University of Kentucky, teaching Equine Law.
Laura is a frequent author and speaker on corporate, gaming and equine law matters. Her recent speaking engagements include the American Law Institute’s Choice of Entity program, the Kentucky Bar Association’s Annual Meeting, the American Bar Association’s Gaming Law meeting, the National Equine Law Conference, as well as lectures at University of Kentucky’s Gatton School of Business, UK Law School and UK College of Agriculture. She has been published in Gaming Law Review and Economics, Casino Enterprise Management, Casino Lawyer, Business Lexington and The Blood Horse, and has been quoted in The New York Times, the Toronto Globe & Mail, the Thoroughbred Times, and the Lexington Herald-Leader.
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., 1996)
- York University Schulich School of Business - Toronto (M.B.A., 1990)
- University of Guelph - Ontario (B.S., 1988)
- New York
- District of Columbia
- University of Kentucky, National Equine Law Conference Planning Committee, Chair 2012-2016
- Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Board Member, 2010-present
- Commerce Lexington, Board Member, 2007-2015
- International Masters of Gaming Law, General Member
- International Association of Gaming Advisors Member
- Adjunct Professor, University of Kentucky, Equine Law
- University of Kentucky, College of Law, Business Association Law Institute Program Planning Committee, 2014-present
- OperaLex, Board Member, 2014-2016
- Kentucky Hunter Jumper Association Board of Directors, 2014-2015
- Model LLC Organizational Checklist drafting subcommittee, ABA Section of Business Law, LLC's and Partnerships, Chair
- Kentucky Bar Association Section of Business Law Section, Chair 2010-2011
- Kentucky Bar Association, Section of Equine Law, Chair 2006-2007
- IOLTA Trustee of the Fund, 2005-2011, Executive Committee Treasurer, 2010-2011
- LEXARTS, Board Member, 2007-2013
- Lexington Junior League, Sustaining Member, Former Board Member
- Lexington Fayette Urban County Government, Ethics Commission, appointment of the Mayor, 2007-2009
- National Thoroughbred Racing Association Federal Legislative HORSE PAC, Board Member, 2005-2008
- United States Equestrian Federation, Member
- United States Hunter Jumper Association, Member
- American Quarter Horse Association, Member
- American Horse Council, Member
- Thoroughbred Club of America, Member
- Named one of the Leading Women of Central Kentucky by Business Lexington, 2011
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell