With 30 years of diverse experience representing large and midsize companies and individuals, Leland represents clients in intellectual property litigation, commercial litigation and transactional work, such as licensing, contracts, mergers and acquisitions. He has also been involved in numerous injunction and non-compete cases over the years, has represented a variety of clients in entertainment law matters and advises clients on Internet and social media law.
Leland has litigated cases in many federal district courts and federal appeals courts, as well as in several state courts, before the U.S. International Trade Commission and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He practiced intellectual property law with the New York law firm of Kenyon & Kenyon and McDermott, Will & Emery in Chicago.
His clients appreciate his ability to size up legal risks and provide sound advice, as though he were in his client’s shoes. His instincts and creative approaches to finding effective solutions have consistently provided clients with successful outcomes.
Known for his strong mediation skills, he has been appointed as a mediator 17 times by U.S. district court judges in the Western District of Pennsylvania and the Southern District of New York and has successfully settled each case. He has also been a special master to construe the claims of several patents.
For nine years, Leland served as an adjunct professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, where he created and taught a course on intellectual property litigation. He was also selected to give the 2013 Edgar M. Snyder Distinguished Scholar Lecture at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law.
- University of Pittsburgh (J.D., 1982)
- Class president
- University of Michigan (B.S.E., with honors, 1979)
- New York
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- University of Michigan, Michigan in Washington, Advisory Board
- Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell