Matt is an associate in the firm’s Huntington office, where his practice focuses on commercial, transportation and general civil defense. He has federal and state trial experience and has practiced before West Virginia’s federal and state trial courts, as well as the United States Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
He has extensive experience in rail transportation litigation, including derailment claims and Federal Employers’ Liability Act litigation. In 2013, his railroad practice group earned the Top Ranked Railroad Law Firm in the United States distinction by The Best Lawyers in America 2013. Matt also represents clients in complex commercial and business litigation, including corporate and contract disputes, real estate claims, and consumer credit protection claims, as well as professional liability claims representing lawyers and real estate professionals.
Matt’s common sense approach to assisting clients with complex disputes earned him the distinction of Rising Star by Super Lawyers, an honor given to less than 2.5 percent of lawyers in the state. In 2014, he received a Generation Huntington Award from the Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce’s Young Professionals Committee for his dedication, service and leadership in the Tri-State area.
While in law school, on his way to earning a ranking in the top five of his graduating class and highest grade distinctions in six different courses, Matt was selected to represent the West Virginia University College of Law in its externship program as a student law clerk to the Honorable Robert C. Chambers of the United States District Court, Southern District of West Virginia.
He has written extensive legal scholarship concerning the National Collegiate Athletic Association, obtaining publication in the UCLA Entertainment Law Review (2009) and the Dayton Law Review (2010). Prior to attending law school, Matt worked as a sports journalist for several media outlets, including the Associated Press, MLB.com, and the Charleston Daily Mail. The West Virginia Press Association named Matt the state's Best Sports Columnist in 2006 for his work at the Charleston Daily Mail.
- West Virginia University College of Law (J.D., 2009)
- Order of the Coif, West Virginia Law Review Vol. 111 Senior Managing Editor, CALI Awards for Civil Procedure, Pre-Trial Litigation, Legal Research and Writing, Appellate Advocacy, Employment Law, Health Care Torts
- Marshall University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2004)
- Print Journalism
- West Virginia
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Southern District of West Virginia
- Northern District of West Virginia
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Tri-State Inc., Board Member
- Marshall University Quarterback Club, Board Member
- W. Page Pitt School of Journalism and Mass Communications at Marshall University, Advisory Committee Member
- Marshall University Alumni Association, Past Board of Directors Member
- Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Committee, Past Community Development Chair
- Selected for the West Virginia Rising Stars® List
- Generation Huntington Award Winner
- Elected Cabell and Wayne Co. Representative, West Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers’ Executive Committee
- NARTC College of Railroad Trial Advocacy Graduate