A lawyer with substantial achievements in both professional and community affairs, Richard concentrates in law involving litigation - medical malpractice, personal injury and commercial - and natural resources - coal, oil and gas. He was the lead trial lawyer for the only defendant remaining in the trial of the Mass Flood Litigation at the conclusion of the eight week first phase trial in 2006. The Mass Flood Litigation was believed to have been the largest mass litigation in West Virginia history.
Richard has also served as an arbitrator in various coal, oil and gas matters.
Among his bar and professional activities, he has served as president of the West Virginia Bar Association and has served as a trustee of the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation. Richard has written and lectured on coal, oil, gas and other topics. He has been named to Best Lawyers and honored by Chambers USA for his work in natural resource law and has also been named by West Virginia Super Lawyers for his work in the area of energy and natural resources. He was named a fellow of the West Virginia Bar Foundation for his outstanding service to the legal profession and a fellow of the American Bar Foundation for dedication to welfare of the community and the traditions of the legal profession.
A native of Huntington, Richard is one of the firm's most dedicated community leaders. He is currently serving on the Executive Committee of the Huntington Area Development Counsel, Inc., was its first chairman, served two terms as chairman of the Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce and has served on numerous other community boards.
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D.)
- West Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Southern District of West Virginia
- Northern District of West Virginia
- Eastern District of Kentucky
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Natural Resources Law, Oil & Gas Law
- Listed in Chambers USA®: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation & Natural Resources
- Selected for the West Virginia Super Lawyers® List