As a former federal prosecutor, Robert brings a unique perspective to his representation of clients. His experience allows him to mitigate the negative impact government regulations and investigations have on the businesses and lives of his clients.
Robert is a partner with the Litigation Department. He counsels corporate and individual clients, including those working through complex internal or government investigations, responding to subpoenas, investigative demands for interviews, or those facing criminal prosecution. He handles all aspects of litigation related to these matters as well. For example, he assists clients with matters involving the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Offices, Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and State Attorney General Offices. Examples of matters Robert handles include those involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-bribery provisions, mail, bank, and wire fraud, False Claims Act and qui tam actions, privacy and security breaches and OIG audits. Robert also counsels businesses on implementing internal compliance programs concerning the FCPA, data privacy and security, and anti-money laundering protections. He also aids victims of fraud recoup their losses.
In addition, he advises clients on health care compliance, including fraud and abuse laws such as the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statue, as well as health care privacy laws such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA). Additionally, Robert advises clients regarding data privacy compliance and responding to data breaches. Robert also has parlayed his federal experience into certification as a Title IX Civil Rights Investigator.
Previously, Robert served as an assistant United States attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Offices in the District of New Jersey and the Southern District of California, where he was lead prosecutor on hundreds of investigations of both individual and corporate targets.
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D.)
- College of the Holy Cross (A.B.)
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Southern District of California
- District of New Jersey
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Northern District of New York
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice and Health Law Sections
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Inn of Court, Active Alumnus
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Federal Bar Association, Southern District of California
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Lawyers Club of San Diego, Human Trafficking Task Force
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, White Collar Crime Committee
- San Diego County Bar Association, Legal Ethics Committee
- American Diabetes Association, San Diego Chapter, Father of the Year Committee
- Holy Cross Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- Holy Cross Club of San Diego
- San Diego Teen Court, Volunteer Judge
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Alumni Mentor, former Alumni Council and Adjunct Professor
- "Best of the Bar," San Diego Business Journal, 2015-2016