Tom is an experienced commercial litigator, who focuses his practice on commercial conflicts and insurance coverage disputes. He routinely represents insurers in matters involving coverage disputes, as well as claims related to bad faith, class actions, fraud, misrepresentation, spoliation and contractual issues. Among his more significant cases include successfully defending an insurer in connection with contractual liability and bad faith issues resulting from an explosion at a fertilizer plant, as well as successfully defending an insurer against a claim for coverage under the “advertising injury” section of a policy relating to the labeling and display of a product. Tom has experience handling matters in state and federal courts throughout the country and has represented foreign insurers in connection with events that take place in the United States. In addition, hehas substantial experience in advising insurers on the adjustment and analysis of complex claims, underwriting challenges, regulatory compliance, and other related issues.
He is a frequent speaker and author on insurance-related issues and has spoken at conferences and seminars conducted by the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter, the Property Loss Research Bureau, the Illinois Association of Defense and Trial Counsel, ExecuSummit, and the National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues, as well as private seminars held on behalf of various clients.
- Indiana University (J.D., 2001)
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (B.A., 1998)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Rising Stars®