Thomas Gilpin has distinguished himself as a skilled attorney through his accomplishments in health care, real estate, natural resources, banking, bankruptcy and commercial law. He has been listed as one of The Best Lawyers in America for several years in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and Mergers and Acquisitions Law. He is also listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Business Lawyers in the area of Corporate and Commercial, and Real Estate Law and listed in West Virginia Super Lawyers in the areas of Energy and Natural Resources, Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights, and Healthcare Law.
Mr. Gilpin's transactional work achieves the clients’ goals by a creative, analytical and cooperative approach to identifying risks, structuring and closing transactions. He has established a strong reputation with his clients, and within the legal community, for his ability, thoroughness, preparation and fairness. A measure of his reputation is the size of transactions entrusted to him: multi-million dollar loans and acquisitions for a major coal and timber land holding client; and representation for various lenders in many large loans including joint multi-creditor, multi-state loans involving hundreds of millions of dollars. He is also involved in problem loan workouts and bankruptcy.
Mr. Gilpin's health care clients include the largest private physician practice group in West Virginia, a large orthopedic surgery group in Huntington and a physician-owned hospital.
In 2012, Mr. Gilpin was appointed by the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals as one of four members of the Supreme Court Committee on the Revision of the West Virginia State Bar By-Laws and Rules and Regulations. The committee is charged with undertaking a comprehensive revision of The State Bar By-Laws and Rules and Regulations for submission to, and review by, the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals.
- Emory University School of Law (J.D., 1974)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A., 1971)
- West Virginia
- Northern District of West Virginia
- Southern District of West Virginia
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- West Virginia Roundtable, Board of Directors 2004-2015
- Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors since 1999, past Chairman
- Cabell Huntington Health Department, Board Member; Vice-Chair, 2011-2012; Chair of the Board, 2013 - Present
- Episcopal Diocese of West Virginia, Chancellor 2001-2006
- Trustee of the Episcopal Diocese of West Virginia
- Rated by West Virginia Super Lawyers® Energy & Natural Resources
- Rated by Super Lawyers Business® Health Care
- Ranked in Chambers USA®: America’s Leading Business Lawyers in the area of Corporate and Commercial, and Real Estate
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Charleston for Mergers and Acquisitions Law by The Best Lawyers in America®, 2016
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Charleston for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization Law by The Best Lawyers in America®, 2017
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce Volunteer of the Year
- Selected for the West Virginia Super Lawyers® List