Bill is currently the leader of the firm’s Intellectual Property Prosecution and Opinion Practice Group.
Bill has more than 15 years of experience in patent preparation and prosecution, including coordinating all aspects of extensive and complex patent portfolios for international and national corporate clients. He also has extensive experience handling patent infringement matters, as well as due diligence analysis and clearance, validity and patentability studies for clients. Additionally, he is adept at rendering patent-related opinions, including right-to-practice opinions, and he also routinely advises on intellectual property components of acquisitions and mergers. He is proficient at negotiating, drafting and analyzing commercial contracts with special focus on Intellectual Property rights and software-related agreements.
Bill is familiar with a vast array of electrical, mechanical and software technologies, with particular experience in semiconductors and superconductors, computer hardware and software, electronic circuits, medical devices and instrumentation, emergency rescue equipment, consumer electronics and automotive and locomotive technologies. Drawing on his background in the Navy, where he served as an engineering officer and weapons officer leading personnel and operations aboard two warships, Bill brings a trusted insight and a practical approach to meeting his clients’ needs. He places a premium on understanding not only the technical aspects of his clients’ business, but also in learning their ultimate objectives, enabling them to work in conjunction to reach their goals.
Prior to his law career, Bill received the Navy Commendation Medal, Navy Achievement Medal, Southwest Asia Service Medal, Saudi Arabian Medal for the Liberation of Kuwait, and Kuwait Liberation of Kuwait Medal as a member of the U.S. Navy.
- Franklin Pierce Law Center (J.D./M.I.P., 1999)
- George Washington University (M.S., 1995)
- Information Management
- United States Naval Academy (B.S., 1989)
- General Engineering
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Southern District of Ohio
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Dayton Intellectual Property Law Association
- Dayton Bar Association (Board of Trustees, Treasurer 2006-2008), Law and Technology Committee, Past Chair
- Named Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star by Law & Politics, 2005, 2006 and 2007
- Dayton Business Journal Forty Under 40 Award recipient
- Leadership Dayton Class of 2001