Bill's employee benefits practice serves a diverse client base with respect to the design, preparation and implementation of pension and welfare benefit plans and their ERISA-related issues, including the effect of laws such as ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act, COBRA requirements, and HIPAA health care coverage.
His tax and estate planning practice involves advice to individuals and businesses, including corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies. His experience includes federal individual, partnership, and corporate tax planning; disputes with the Internal Revenue Service; and planning for deferred compensation, qualified retirement, and IRA/403(b) plan distributions.
Bill's health care practice involves the business aspects of health care law, including the structure, design, and operation of hospital and health care provider relationships, representation of physician practices, and representation of health care delivery organizations. He represents and has designed managed health care delivery systems, including health maintenance organizations, preferred provider organizations, independent physician associations, physician-hospital organizations and hospital/physician joint ventures. He represents hospitals, physicians and companies that manufacture and distribute medical equipment and supply health care services. His health care practice focuses on regulatory compliance steps unique to the health care industry, including anti-kickback and anti-referral statutes and regulations; privacy requirements in state laws and HIPAA; and health care incident reporting and disclosure obligations.
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1973)
- Carleton College (B.A., 1968)
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association, Employee Benefits Committee of the Section of Taxation, Health Law Section
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Ohio State Bar Association, Estate Planning and Probate Section
- Society of Ohio Hospital Attorneys
- Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio, Health Law & Policy of the Department of Health Services Administration, adjunct professor
- University of Cincinnati College of Allied Health Sciences, adjunct professor (2012 - present)
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers®
- Employee Benefits (ERISA), Health Care and Tax Law
- "Lawyer of the Year" in Cincinnati for Health Care Law (2013)
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Cincy Leading Lawyer by Cincy Magazine
- Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Business Lawyers
- Adjunct Faculty Award from the College of Social Sciences, Health and Education of Xavier University