Aubrey represents clients ranging from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies. She has experience in all aspects of patent law and related business matters in the U.S. and around the world.
She began her career in the labs of biotech and pharmaceutical companies. Having worked as both a medicinal chemist and then as a process research chemist provides her with practical knowledge when working with her clients. Aubrey’s in-house experience covered the entire drug development process and gives her the insight to ask questions to help scientists’ develop, protect and commercialize their own products, particularly in the life sciences. Her technical knowledge encompasses chemistry, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical device, agrochemical and oil/gas industries.
Aubrey manages global patent portfolios for her clients and prepares, files and prosecutes domestic and foreign patent applications. She prepares validity, infringement, freedom-to-operate and patentability opinions. Aubrey participates in intellectual property transactions, such as due diligences, and in strategic intellectual property counseling, including portfolio development, patent term extension, regulatory exclusivity and orange book listings.
She also helps clients assert their IP rights and defend against infringement allegations. Her patent litigation experience runs the gamut from pre-litigation investigations through discovery, motion practice, trial and appeals to the federal circuit. She has prepared witnesses for depositions and trial, drafted discovery pleadings and summary judgment briefings and assisted in drafting federal circuit briefs. She has also assisted foreign counsel in litigation and post-grant proceedings.
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- San Diego Law Review
- University of California, San Diego (1999)
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- Science & Technology Law section, Biotechnology Law co-chair (2018-2019)
- American Chemical Society
- Association for Women in Science
- Intellectual Property Organization
- Women in Bio
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyers Program
- San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- San Diego Entrepreneurs Exchange (SDEE), consultant
- Southern California Rising Stars® for Intellectual Property, Intellectual Property Litigation, Business/Corporate (2015 - 2017)