Caroline focuses her practice on employment litigation and advice, business litigation, including defense of large-scale or class action consumer claims, and First Amendment and media law. She has represented a variety of clients before and during litigation, tailoring her approach to fit the unique circumstances of each case and the needs of each client.
A significant portion of her practice involves defending employment disputes in and outside of the courtroom and offering human resources training to clients, including Fortune 500 companies. She defends clients in EEOC or human rights investigations and represents them in lawsuits brought by employees alleging discrimination, breach of contract, wage and hour violations, or related issues. Her counsel includes advice on compliance with employment laws and regulations, and she has tried multiple employment cases to a defense verdict.
Caroline’s experience also includes defending companies in an array of business and consumer disputes, including purported class actions and large-scale consumer claims. She tries cases in court and handles them in arbitration, and she advises clients on strategy and costs related to arbitration, and the rules, costs and nuances of using the American Arbitration Association to resolve a dispute. She also counsels clients in relation to investigations by government agencies.
She draws on her previous experience as a newspaper reporter with The Courier-Journal in Louisville when representing various newspapers and media outlets in First Amendment, open records and open meetings cases. Caroline advises media outlets on the risks of certain publications, assists them in seeking access to public records and meetings and uses her media background to advise clients who are handling matters likely to attract media attention.
Prior to joining the firm, Caroline served as a judicial law clerk to Judge John G. Heyburn, II of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky.
- Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville (J.D., cum laude, 2009)
- University of Louisville Law Review, associate articles editor
- Pirtle-Washer Moot Court Competition, finalist
- Western Kentucky University (B.A., 2002)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- Louisville Bar Association
- Leadership Academy, Class of 2015
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Women Lawyers Association
- Louisville Bar Association, Pro Bono Consortium member (2013 - present)
- Legal Aid/Louisville Bar Association Apprentice Program, Board of Directors
- Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting, the investigative arm of Louisville Public Media, Advisory Council
- Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates, Board of Directors
- University of Louisville, Brandeis School of Law Advisor to the Pirtle-Washer Moot Court Competition
- Kentucky Refugee Ministries
- St. John Center for Homeless Men
Kentucky Rising Star®