Caroline focuses her practice on general business litigation and advice, including acting as outside general counsel to several businesses. She also has significant experience defending clients in court and in arbitration against consumer claims, employment claims, and personal injury claims. She has experience assisting clients in navigating investigations and litigation brought by government agencies. As a former reporter, she has unique insights in the areas of First Amendment and media law, including open records and open meetings laws.
She has won several defense verdicts at trial and arbitration and has prevailed in various other lawsuits in federal and state court at the summary judgment stage. Despite her proficiency in the courtroom, she also spends time helping her clients, including Fortune 10 and Fortune 500 companies, avoid litigation or bring it to an end as early as possible by offering legal risk training and other training on litigation strategy. She presented at the 2019 Kentucky Bar Convention on the ethical use of social media in litigation and on navigating the arbitration process.
She draws on her previous experience as a newspaper reporter with The Courier-Journal in Louisville when representing various newspapers and media outlets in First Amendment, open records and open meetings cases. Prior to joining the firm, Caroline served as a judicial law clerk to Judge John G. Heyburn, II of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky. Caroline is licensed in Kentucky and Indiana and practices in both federal and state courts.
- Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville (J.D., cum laude, 2009)
- University of Louisville Law Review, associate articles editor
- Pirtle-Washer Moot Court Competition, finalist
- Western Kentucky University (B.A., 2002)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- Louisville Bar Association
- Leadership Academy, Class of 2015
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Women Lawyers Association
- Louisville Bar Association, Pro Bono Consortium member (2013 - present)
- Legal Aid/Louisville Bar Association Apprentice Program, Board of Directors
- Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting, the investigative arm of Louisville Public Media, Advisory Council
- Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates, Board of Directors
- University of Louisville, Brandeis School of Law Advisor to the Pirtle-Washer Moot Court Competition
- Kentucky Refugee Ministries
- St. John Center for Homeless Men
Kentucky Rising Star®