Eric Lycan has over two decades of experience providing strategic counsel to a broad range of industries, organizations, candidates and public officials on law and public policy, including campaign and issue advocacy, government ethics and regulatory compliance. He advises clients how to make their voices heard by policymakers, through engagement in the policymaking process and through direct and grassroots advocacy in support of issues and candidates.
He has extensive experience with complex litigation business disputes and appellate matters. He brought a case on behalf of the Commonwealth that resulted in the largest judgment in Kentucky history, in the amount of $870 million against an unregulated offshore Internet gambling operation. Eric also advises clients in industries such distilled spirits, breweries and energy industry clients on corporate and transactional matters, and before regulatory agencies on licensing, enforcement and compliance matters.
Eric was counsel for U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s 2014 reelection effort. He is currently general counsel to the Republican Party of Kentucky and the Kentucky House Republican Leadership. He has advised gubernatorial campaigns in Kentucky, Ohio and other states, and legislative caucuses across the nation including Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Eric serves as counsel to multiple campaigns, super PACs, trade associations and non-profit organizations, including one spending over $10 million in support of Senator Ted Cruz in the 2016 Presidential primary.
With his experience and knowledge of how policy is made and regulators make decisions, Eric is effective at counseling businesses and industries how to cut through the red tape and obtain a positive result for their operations.
- Centre College (B.A., 1992)
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., 1995)
- West Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Leadership Kentucky (2011)
- Republican Party of Kentucky
- Executive Committee
- General Counsel
- Republican National Lawyers Association
- National Board of Governors
- Judicial Affairs, vice president
- Kentucky Coal Association
- Kentucky Bankers Association
- Kentucky Distillers Association
- Kentucky Oil & Gas Association
- Kentucky Chamber of Commerce
- West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Lawyers for Romney, Kentucky, chairman (2012)
- Lexington Children’s Theater, past president
- Lexington Fayette Urban County Government, Ethics Commission (2002)
- Administrative law judge, appointment of the governor (2005 - 2007)
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®
- Peer Review Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell