Whether it’s representing clients or playing a game of chess with family, James goes all in strategizing and preparing for possible challenges facing his clients today and months, even years, in the future.
He counsels business owners, serial entrepreneurs, C-suite executives, in-house counsel, and human resources directors to make strategic business decisions, from hiring to firing, while complying with the ever changing and overlapping laws, including the ADEA, FLSA, FMLA, NLRA, and Title VII. He brings a business and proactive approach to legal matters to help employers make strategic business decisions to minimize the potential for litigation and business disruption.
Clients appreciate James’ hands on approach and his ability to learn businesses and tailor his counsel to meet each client’s specific needs. Because he puts his name and reputation on every product and decision, he delivers advice to his clients in a no-nonsense fashion, which enables them to make the best decisions with clear and concise guidance.
When litigation becomes necessary, he enforces restrictive covenants and defends employers against charges filed with the EEOC, state, and federal agencies. James regularly conducts audits and investigations into employers’ wage and hour practices and claims of discrimination and harassment. He provides training and prepares employment documents, including employee handbooks, employment agreements, and separation agreements, to cover all aspects during the life cycle of an employee.
Giving 100 percent to everything he does, James is a renowned keynote and national speaker at conferences and events, including the American Payroll Association, SHRM, and HR Day.
- Wayne State University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2005)
- Michigan State University (B.A., cum laude, 2002)
- State Bar of Michigan
- Labor and Employment Law Section Council
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Former chair of employment law committee
- Michigan Council of the Society for Human Resource Management
- Director elect, director of resource partners
- Michigan Rising Star® (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Top Lawyer DBusiness Magazine, (2017, 2018)
- Oakland County Executive's Elite 40 Under 40, 2019
- Oakland County Bar Association’s Distinguished Service Award