Jill is a litigation partner serving sophisticated business and insurance industry clients in complex litigation and dispute resolution. She has successfully litigated a broad range of commercial, mass tort, catastrophic loss, and business lawsuits from trial through appeal in the state and federal courts of Kentucky over the past 25 years, achieving precedent-setting decisions in the areas of insurance coverage and bad faith, breach of contract and UCC law, mass tort and product liability, and securities law. Jill practices cases of all sizes with the same goal of obtaining the best possible result per individual client objectives as quickly and cost-effectively as possible.
Her insurance industry knowledge and experience run deep. From insurance coverage litigation under a broad variety of policies to MGA and broker/dealer breaches of contract to defense of insured and extra-contractual claims, Jill has spent over 50 percent of her full-time practice working for insurance industry clients. She chaired the Insurance Practice Group of ALFA International and serves as an active member and speaker at Claims Litigation Management client seminars on insurance law subjects.
Jill has substantial experience in insurance insolvency proceedings. She represented three successive Kentucky Commissioners of Insurance in their capacity as Liquidator of Kentucky Central Life Insurance including as lead counsel in high-profile litigation against the Bank of Louisville (recovering $27 million for client) and in the $100 million Webb dispute, the largest continuous lawsuit of that statutory insolvency.
She is top-rated by Best Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, and Super Lawyers in the areas of Insurance Litigation, Business Litigation, Mass Tort & Class Action Defense, and Product Liability Defense. She was recognized as 2018 Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers for Mass Tort Litigation & Class Actions (Louisville, Kentucky). Jill served as special justice on the Kentucky Supreme Court by appointment of the governor of Kentucky in 2008.
Jill obtained her B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania and J.D. with honors from George Washington University Law School.
- George Washington University Law School (J.D., with honors, 1992)
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., 1989)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- ALFA International Insurance Practice Group
- Chair Emeritus (2011 - 2013)
- Chair (2009 - 2011)
- Vice chair (2005 - 2009)
- Program chair (2005 - 2006)
- Steering Committee (2002 - 2015)
- Defense Research Institute, Insurance and Commercial Litigation committees
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) International (2006 - 2011)
- Board of Directors
- Gala Committee
- Corporate fundraising chair
- Gala Honorary chair, Kentuckiana Chapter (2009)
- George Washington University Law School, Kentucky Alumni Committee
- University of Pennsylvania, Kentucky Alumni Committee
- Kentucky Country Day Parents’ Association
- Louisville Legal Aid Society, Landlord/Tenant Project, former pro bono counsel
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers©
- "Lawyer of the Year" in Louisville for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants (2018)
- Litigation - Insurance, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants, Personal Injury and Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Top Lawyers featured in Louisville Magazine (2011)
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®
- AM Best's Recommended Insurance Attorneys
- Special Justice of the Kentucky Supreme Court by appointment of Kentucky governor (June 2008)
- Profiled in Business First (July 28, 2006)
- Judicial Clerkship, New Mexico Supreme Court (1992 - 1994)