Joseph advises a variety of health care providers, with a focus on skilled nursing facilities. He counsels his clients on the Anti-Kickback statute, Stark Law, fraud and abuse, HIPAA, facility acquisitions, physician contracting, managed care contracting, internal investigations, statutory and regulatory requirements for skilled nursing facilities, operational compliance, and measuring compliance program effectiveness. He has experience representing both borrowers and lenders in HUD LEAN 232 transactions. Additionally, he has negotiated and drafted agreements related to Upper Payment Limits and Intergovernmental Transfers, and his background includes creating and managing compliance programs for skilled nursing facilities.
He also handles matters in the areas of real estate finance, acquisitions, and accounts receivable financing.
Prior to entering private practice, Joseph was a corporate compliance program director with a health care system in Marion County. He has also worked as in-house counsel and compliance director with two long-term care consulting companies. In these roles, he focused on real estate finance, acquisitions of health care facilities, contract review, risk mitigation, fraud and abuse, internal investigations, and regulatory compliance.
Joseph is a recognized author and speaks regionally and nationally on issues related to health care and compliance. He was a contributing author to the 2021 publication of the Complete Healthcare Compliance Manual by the Health Care Compliance Association. He recently completed his participation in the Leadership Development Program of the American Health Law Association during which time he worked with the Post-Acute and Long Term Services Practice Group. Finally, Joseph serves on the Indianapolis Bar Association Health Care & Life Sciences Executive Committee.
He is certified in health care compliance (CHC) and health care research compliance (CHRC).
- Valparaiso University School of Law (J.D.)
- School of Law Honor Committee
- Student Bar Association, Philanthropy chair
- Indiana University Kelley School of Business
- Undergraduate Student Assembly Heart of Philanthropy Award
- Top 100 Juniors and Seniors
- Purdue University
- Yellow Belt Lean Six Sigma Healthcare
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Leadership Development Program of the Post-Acute and Long Term Services Practice Group (2020 - 2021)
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Health Care & Life Sciences Executive Committee
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Indianapolis Regional Planning Committee, chair
- Business Ethics Indiana
- United Way of Central Indiana Leadership United Class of 2019
- Hamilton County Leadership Academy Class of 2016
- Lutheran Child and Family Service, Board of Directors
- Conner Prairie Interactive History Park, volunteer
- Indianapolis International Film Fest, Screening Committee
- Indiana Repertory Theater, Offscript, Advisory Council, past member