Joe is the office managing partner of the San Diego office. When serving clients, he has one goal in mind – successful results consistent with the client’s business objective.
From high-tech to tires, real property to intellectual property, Joe represents clients across all industries in varying legal disputes. He has led jury trial teams in both state and federal court, represented clients’ interests in multiple arbitrations, protected the First Amendment rights of an internet media company through appeal, slayed a patent troll by invalidating its patent and obtaining attorney’s fees for his technology client through appeal, obtained a court order directing a public university to provide access to public records under the California Public Records Act, and defended countless clients in class actions, allegations of intellectual property infringement, employment claims, and other complex business matters.
His clients range from individuals at the highest level of corporate America to Fortune 250 companies. He has represented individuals in white collar matters when their freedom is at stake and companies when millions of dollars are on the line. His clients have included a national tire manufacturer in multiple product defect lawsuits, a non-profit, scientific institute that obtained a $17 million settlement from a pharmaceutical company, an international software company that successfully sued to obtain payment from a Fortune 150 company, and multiple online retailers in class actions. He also advises clients before a lawsuit is filed to help avoid the costs often associated with litigation.
Joe obtained his law degree with honors from the Georgetown University Law Center while working on Capitol Hill as a legislative aide handling issues such as health care and education and later while interning for the office of the vice president. After law school, he served as an attorney in the White House as deputy assistant to the vice president. As part of the vice president’s senior staff, Joe was then the youngest deputy assistant to the vice president at the age of 25. In this role, his responsibilities included functioning as the final substantive control point before information reached the vice president, managing complex policy and political issues, and representing the vice president’s interests on all policy matters within the administration. Joe also had TS/SCI clearances and handled countless classified documents related to foreign and national security policy.
In addition to his work in government, he worked at two AmLaw 100 law firms before starting his own firm, which he grew exponentially in three years. His prior firm merged with Dinsmore on November 1, 2015, establishing Dinsmore’s first California office.
In addition to his work for clients, Joe has been a leader in the legal community. He currently serves on the national Board of Directors for the Federal Bar Association and previously served as the FBA’s 9th Circuit vice president, the FBA’s San Diego chapter president, the co-chair of the Lawyer Representatives of the Southern District of California, the chair of the committee on the 50th anniversary of the Southern District, as the chair of the panel on the reappointment of Magistrate Judge Bernard Skomal, and as the chair of two merit selection panels for the appointment of three U.S. magistrate judges. He also served as a commissioner on the City of San Diego Ethics Commission.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., cum laude)
- University of California, San Diego
- Political Science
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Federal Bar Association
- National director
- Centennial Celebration, Fundraising Committee chair
- San Diego Chapter, past president, Advisory Board
- Budget and Finance Committee, member
- City of San Diego Ethics Commission, past commissioner
- Lawyer Representatives to the Southern District of California, past co-chair
- Kids Included Together, director and chair, Governance Committee
- Committee on the 50th Anniversary of the Southern District of California, past chair
- U.S. Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel, Southern District of California, past chair
- American Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- San Diego Metro
- One of San Diego’s best attorneys
- 40 Under 40, Class of 2017
- Southern California/San Diego Super Lawyers® (2014 - 2018)
- "Top Lawyers” by San Diego Magazine (2016 - 2017)
- Top Attorneys in San Diego, American Lawyer Media (2013 - 2015)
- Top Attorney in the category of Corporate Litigation by the San Diego Daily Transcript, a ranking of San Diego County’s best lawyers (2015)
- Wiley W. Manual Pro Bono Award (multiple years)
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell