Kara is a litigator with a focus on defending product liability, trucking, professional liability, and employment law claims. She also has significant experience in each of these areas at the state and federal appellate levels, including brief writing and oral argument.
Her product liability practice has involved a wide variety of products ranging from heating pads, fireplaces, and other household items to ATVs, automobiles, and airplanes. Kara is currently co-national counsel for a leading bedding manufacturer. Previously, Kara served as co-national liaison counsel for a recreational vehicle manufacturer in multi-district litigation involving more than 300 product liability lawsuits involving the design of a side-by-side utility vehicle and co-trial counsel for the 12 lawsuits involving Kentucky plaintiffs. She also served as national counsel for a hearth manufacturer, defending claims in multiple jurisdictions across the country.
Kara’s transportation practice has included defending cases with seven-figure exposure where her thorough understanding of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations has proven critical to achieving successful results. In addition, she advises transportation clients on preventive measures to avoid liability and reduce exposure when liability is unavoidable.
Her professional liability practice consists of defending physicians, nurses, and hospitals against medical negligence claims.
Kara’s employment defense practice covers the spectrum of claims and disputes that arise in the employer-employee context, including employment discrimination (age, race, national origin, gender, disability, and religion), sexual harassment and hostile work environment, wrongful termination, and ADA/FMLA violations.
She is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell and has been listed in Kentucky Super Lawyers ® since 2012.
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., 1999)
- National Moot Court Team (1999)
- Furman University (B.A., 1995)
- NCAA Division I Volleyball, four years
- Political Science Honor Society
- Pre-Law Society
- Washington Center Internship Program (1995)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Recreational Products Specialized Litigation Group, committee member
- Kentucky Defense Counsel
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Kentucky Super Lawyers® (2012 - present)
- Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell