Kim is chair of the firm's Bankruptcy & Restructuring practice group and focuses her practice on corporate reorganization, insolvency, financing, workout, and bankruptcy law.
She has represented several Fortune 500 companies, including counsel to The Procter & Gamble Company as creditor in many restructurings and bankruptcies across the country. She also has experience serving as restructuring counsel for several large companies in the retail and manufacturing industries, including Milacron, Inc.; Ormet Corporation; The Wornick Company; Rue 21, Inc. (fka Pennsylvania Fashions); Elder Beerman; and Federated Department Stores among others.
Stemming from her representation of Wallace's Bookstores, Inc., Kim served as the counsel for the bankruptcy trustee in a case that was heard before the U.S. Supreme Court, which resulted in a decision in favor of her client in Central Community College, et al. v. Bernard Katz (Case No. 04-885). In its decision, the court held that states could not invoke sovereign immunity to avoid being sued in bankruptcy proceedings.
Kim is a fellow in the American College of Bankruptcy and a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute. She has been recognized in Ohio Super Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America, and Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers for her work in bankruptcy and restructuring law. Additionally, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business says, “Peers describe Kim Lewis as 'the real deal,' noting her wealth of experience in handling 'huge cases' and commending her 'tough but fair' approach. She has an impressive track record in representing corporate clients and trustees in both contentious and non-contentious bankruptcy matters, particularly in the retail and industrial sectors."
- Southwestern University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1987)
- Ball State University (B.S., cum laude, 1984)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- American College of Bankruptcy, fellow
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Commercial Law League of America
- Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar, Executive Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Fellow in the American College of Bankruptcy
- Chambers USA®: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2004 - present)
- Certified by the American Bankruptcy Board of Certification in business bankruptcy
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Top 50 Women by Law & Politics
- Best Lawyers®
- "Lawyer of the Year" in Cincinnati for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2017)
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2021)
- Who's Who Legal - The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers
- Cincy Leading Lawyer by Cincy Magazine