Matt focuses his practice on cybersecurity, data privacy, and telecommunications. He regularly helps clients comply with domestic and international data protection laws including the GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, GLBA, COPPA, and numerous other privacy frameworks. He conducts risk assessments for clients to identify compliance gaps and develops compliance frameworks and strategies.
He also advises clients during security incidents and data breaches. Matt assists with forensic investigations and coordinates communications with affected individuals and state and federal regulators. He also assists clients with other types of internet issues including cyberbullying, cybersquatting, and the removal of content from internet platforms including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Google. Matt also has experience serving as privacy counsel on business transactions and conducting privacy and cybersecurity due diligence.
Leveraging his experience working on telecommunications matters in Washington, D.C. and Ohio, Matt also counsels clients on broadband matters. He navigates clients through FCC compliance matters and assists with managing right-of-way and broadband deployment issues.
During law school, Matt developed his legal skills through various externship programs. He was a judicial extern for U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Jeffrey S. Sutton, a legislative extern in the Ohio Senate Democratic Caucus, and served as a law clerk to Chairman Tom Wheeler at the Federal Communications Commission.
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2017)
- Editor-in-Chief, Ohio State Technology Law Journal
- Michael E. Moritz Leadership Award in Law
- University of South Florida (B.A., cum laude, 2013)
- Honors College
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA), chair, Mdwest Chapter
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA)
- Columbus Bar Association
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, mentor
- Best Lawyers®
- "Ones to Watch" in Columbus for Energy Law (2022)