Melissa is licensed in West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio. She spends the majority of her professional time defending medical malpractice claims. Melissa routinely represents a major hospital system in West Virginia and defends physicians, nurses, and other hospital employees. She has also defended numerous cases involving podiatric malpractice. Melissa has also represented physicians in professional licensure complaints before the West Virginia Board of Medicine and has defended assisted living facilities in wrongful death cases brought pursuant to the West Virginia Medical Professional Liability Act.
She has vast experience as a trial lawyer representing national and regional clients in areas including personal injury defense, contractual disputes, employment issues, commercial litigation, mass litigation, and general corporate defense. She has also represented a major utility company in a variety of matters including premises liability, personal injury, occupational injury, property disputes and fire loss claims. Her depth and breadth of experience make her popular with clients who have diverse needs.
Melissa’s extensive experience defending allegations of blasting damage throughout West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky has enabled her to conduct seminars for clients and individuals on handling such cases. Likewise, she has significant experience defending companies within the coal mining industry and has represented clients in matters involving the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection.
- West Virginia University College of Law (J.D., 1997)
- West Virginia Law Review
- West Virginia University (M.P.A., 1994)
- Professional Accountancy
- West Virginia University (B.S., 1993)
- Business Administration
- West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- Dress for Success River Cities (2010 - 2016)
- Board of Directors
- Vice president
- Junior League of Huntington (2014 - present)
- Board of Directors (2015 - 2016)
- Touch-A-Truck and the soup drive, co-chair
- Education Alliance, Board of Directors (2012 - 2015)
- Goodwill Industries, good guide mentor (2010 - 2011)
- State Scholars Initiative, volunteer