Melissa helps companies navigate the legal minefields of complex litigation. Understanding that multi-issue, multi-jurisdictional and multi-party suits bring unique challenges, she is adept at managing all of the factors impacting litigation strategy, while simultaneously ensuring her client’s interests are protected.
She coordinates efforts to ensure her client’s objectives are met at every step of the process, whether it’s managing large scale e-discovery efforts, preparing and defending expert witnesses for deposition and trial, undertaking complex data analyses or dealing with accelerated/conflicting timelines. She employs a client-centric focus to remain cognizant of the expense of litigation and works to control costs with effective case management and budgeting tools, risk-assessment techniques, and through various mediation and arbitration methods, when appropriate.
Melissa works directly with companies to preserve electronically stored information in compliance with state and federal court requirements. She assists clients in developing effective, standardized procedures, protocols and methodologies to manage risk and control costs at each stage of the e-discovery cycle.
In addition, she has obtained significant jury trial experience, including participating in multiple product liability trials for Brown & Williamson Tobacco Company and defending a large retailer on a contract claim in federal court in Dayton, Ohio. Melissa has also acquired significant appellate experience in multiple appellate jurisdictions, including the Supreme Court of Ohio.
While her litigation work is concentrated in mass tort and product liability, she also defends many local hospital entities in medical malpractice and negligent credentialing matters. Her experience spans a variety of industries at both the state and federal level.
Melissa is also a contributing author to the legal treatise Drug Product Liability Reporter.
- Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville (J.D., 2000)
- Bellarmine College (B.A., 1997)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Women’s Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Poor
- Defense Research Institute
- YWCA Leadership Board (2009)
- United Way, Women Investing in the Next Generation (WINGs)
- Forest Hills School District, Bridges Committee
- YWCA of Greater Cincinnati, Rising Star (2008)
- Kentucky Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Award (2006)
- National Diversity Council, Glass Ceiling Award (2015)