Ray is a labor and employment attorney who focuses his practice on employment litigation. He regularly represents companies in the areas of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, wage and hour, deliberate intent, unemployment appeals, unfair labor practice, and general litigation. He also has experience counseling clients through pre-litigation employment issues, as well as drafting employee handbooks and policies, severance agreements, and other employment contracts. In addition to labor and employment law, Ray has defended companies and municipalities in cases involving industrial accidents, premises liability, civil rights and First Amendment claims, consumer credit and protection, real estate litigation, motor vehicle accidents, and other general litigation and disputes.
He also regularly represents attorneys, other professionals, and their organizations in claims asserted against them under their errors and omissions/malpractice insurance policies. He has experience litigating cases and arguing motions in state and federal court as well as federal bankruptcy court in professional liability matters.
His practice also focuses on government relations. As a registered lobbyist, he regularly advocates on behalf of various businesses and industry sectors before the West Virginia Legislature and state agencies. In this capacity, he is tasked with securing and maintaining access to government officials; analyzing the strategic and legal implications of legislation; drafting bills, amendments, position papers, and rulemaking comments; and monitoring and reporting on pending legislation for clients.
Ray earned his J.D. from the University of Florida, where he received Book awards for obtaining the highest grades in his Legal Writing and Moot Court courses and also served as a teaching assistant for Legal Writing, Appellate Advocacy, and Trial Practice courses. He served as president of the Florida Moot Court team and was a finalist competitor in the Cristol Kahn Paskay Cup. As an undergraduate student at Marshall University, Ray served two terms as student body president and as the student representative to the Marshall University Board of Governors and received the 2013 Outstanding Leader award.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2016)
- Marshall University (B.A., cum laude, 2013)
- Political Science
- West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Executive Council, member
- Young Lawyers Division, chair (2017 - present)
- Kanawha County Bar Association, president
- Defense Research Institute, 2019 Governmental Liability and Civil Rights Committee Seminar Community Service chair
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- West Virginia State Bar, Appellate Practice committee member
- Capitol Market Board of Directors
- The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation Community Economic Development Task Force
- The Order of Barristers, national member
- Clay Center Legal Society, founding member
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Young Lawyer Newsletter Article of the Year (2017)
- 2019 West Virginia Bar Foundation Lawyer Leadership Institute