As a former federal prosecutor, Robert brings a unique perspective to his representation of clients. His experience allows him to mitigate the negative impact that civil lawsuits and government regulations and investigations have on the businesses and lives of his clients.
He aids clients in a wide spectrum of both civil and criminal situations. For example, he counsels corporate and individual clients, including those working through complex internal or government investigations, responding to subpoenas, investigative demands for interviews or those facing criminal prosecution. This includes assisting clients with all aspects of litigation in matters involving the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. attorney’s offices, Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and state attorney general offices. Robert handles matters, including those involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-bribery provisions, money laundering, mail fraud, bank fraud, wire fraud and False Claims Act (qui tam/whistleblower) actions related to government contractors. He also counsels businesses on implementing internal compliance programs concerning the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and anti-money laundering protections, FCPA, data privacy and security and advises those in the marijuana industry regarding relevant local, state and federal laws.
Robert also has experience successfully assisting corporations, nonprofit organizations and individuals who have been victims of fraud recoup their losses.
In the civil context, Robert litigates on behalf of his clients and acts as an outside general counsel advising on various legal and business matters. For example, he has parlayed his investigative and trial experience as a federal prosecutor into success for automotive clients who need a defense against product liability, fraud and breach of warranty claims.
Additionally, Robert advises clients on health care compliance, including fraud and abuse laws such as the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statue, and defends clients against OIG health care audits and False Claims Act (qui tam/whistleblower) matters related to government payor programs. He also advises on health care privacy laws such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA), including investigating data privacy compliance and responding to data breaches. Robert also represents medical groups and organizations as outside general counsel.
Previously, Robert served as an assistant United States attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice, United States attorney’s offices in the District of New Jersey and the Southern District of California, where he was lead prosecutor on hundreds of investigations of both individual and corporate targets.
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D.)
- College of the Holy Cross (A.B.)
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice and Health Law Sections
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Inns of Court, Louis M. Welsh Inn of Court, active alumnus
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego, Board of Governors
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Federal Bar Association, Southern District of California
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Lawyers Club of San Diego, Human Trafficking Task Force
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, White Collar Crime Committee
- San Diego County Bar Association, Legal Ethics Committee
- Superior Court of California, San Diego County, judge pro tem
- American Diabetes Association, San Diego Chapter, Father of the Year Committee
- Holy Cross Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- Holy Cross Club of San Diego
- San Diego Teen Court, volunteer judge
- Seton Hall University School of Law, alumni mentor, past Alumni Council and adjunct professor
- The New Children’s Museum, Board of Directors
- "Best of the Bar" by San Diego Business Journal (2015 - 2016)