Bob is a founding partner of Dinsmore's Mine Safety and Health practice group. He focuses his practice exclusively on representing mine operators in the coal and metal/non-metal sectors of the mining industry. During his tenure with the firm, Bob has been responsible for overseeing litigation in over 1400 cases before the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission and state regulatory enforcement agencies.
Prior to joining Dinsmore, he worked for nearly a decade as an underground coal miner. Between 1997 and 2004, he served as a presidential appointee, twice confirmed by the United States Senate, as a member of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission. He has also served as the administrator of Legal Services for the West Virginia Office of Miners’ Health, Safety and Training.
In addition to litigation, Bob provides comprehensive pre-enforcement awareness training for mine operators covering the Mine Act, MSHA regulations, and other MSHA related matters. He is also a frequent speaker nationally on MSHA related topics.
- West Virginia University College of Law (J.D., 1993)
- West Virginia University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1990)
- Honors scholar
- West Virginia
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- West Virginia State Bar
- West Virginia Coal Association
- National Mining Association
- National Stone, Sand and Gravel Association (NSSGA), Legal Affairs Committee
- White House Athletic Center, Board of Directors (2000 - 2004)
- Leadership West Virginia, Class of 2007
- Best Lawyers® for Mining Law