Clients rely on Rob’s deep litigation experience in commercial matters, internal investigations, government investigations, including False Claims Act and white collar defense, and crisis management. He has tried more than 30 federal criminal jury trials, argued numerous complex motions, and successfully briefed and argued cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Prior to joining Dinsmore, Rob served as the 23rd presidentially-appointed and Senate-confirmed U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Kentucky. As the chief federal law enforcement officer in Eastern Kentucky, Rob was ultimately responsible for all federal criminal prosecutions and civil litigation in his district, an area covering 67 counties with a population of more than 2 million people. He led and managed a team of more than 100 employees. As U.S. Attorney, Rob provided legal and policy advice to high level Department of Justice leadership and routinely interacted with the senior leadership of various federal agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the Internal Revenue Service. He also testified before the United States Sentencing Commission on the dangers of fentanyl and fentanyl analogue drugs.
Before becoming U.S. Attorney, Rob served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for nearly 13 years, prosecuting a wide variety of cases including those involving complex money laundering schemes, encompassing years-long investigations of significant criminal enterprises. As an AUSA, he served as the professional responsibility officer for his office providing guidance on legal ethics.
This previous experience as a prosecutor and senior leader in government service enables Rob to provide clients with actionable advice to deal with a wide variety of issues. Clients value his litigation strategy and tactical advice, his ability to help them manage reputational risk, and his effectiveness as an advocate at trial if a case cannot be favorably resolved.
Early in his career, Rob served as a law clerk to Senior U.S. District Judge Henry R. Wilhoit, Jr., in Ashland, Kentucky.
Rob is a graduate of the University of Kentucky College of Law in Lexington and Centre College in Danville, Kentucky.
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., 2003)
- Centre College (B.A., 2000)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- Commercial and Business Litigation Committee
- White Collar Crime Committee
- Defense Research Institute, Government Enforcement and Corporate Compliance Committee
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Kentucky Chapter president (2010-2017)
- Federalist Society
- Kentucky Bar Association
- National Association of Former United States Attorneys
- Alice Lloyd College, Board of Trustees
- Bluegrass Crime Stoppers, Board of Directors
- Lexington Humane Society, Board of Directors
- Ronald McDonald House of the Bluegrass, Fund Development Committee
- United Way of the Bluegrass, Board of Directors
- Leadership Kentucky, 2021 Class
- Lexington Police Department, Distinguished Service Award (2020)
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF) Honor Award (2020)
- Centre College Young Associate of the Year (2011)
- AV Preeminent Peer Rating in Martindale-Hubbell