In ever-changing environments such as law and life, Sam believes the key to success is adaptability. His dedication to clients, colleagues, and community enables him to adapt to the needs of all three. As a result, clients, colleagues and his community appreciate how he uses his personal experiences to serve them honestly and with commitment.
Sam focuses his practice on real estate matters. His experience working on real estate transactions includes guiding clients through all phases of real estate acquisition, ownership and disposition, preparation and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, deeds, leases, subleases, storage agreements, easements, licenses, and related documents while adapting to the needs of the client and the particular transaction. Sam reviews title work, zoning reports, surveys and other due diligence, and he works with title companies, surveyors and other vendors in closing deals. He also works on foreclosure and receivership matters, especially in the commercial mortgage-backed securities market.
There is no client too small or too big. Sam has worked with single-asset owners, Fortune 50 companies and clients of all sizes in-between. He also works with a variety of property-types, including office buildings, shopping centers and other retail and mixed-use sites, industrial and manufacturing facilities, and warehousing and distribution centers, thus serving a wide range of industries. Some industries he serves in his real estate practice include beer, wine, and spirits; retail; banking; education; and healthcare. Sam represents clients on all sides of a transaction, which includes landlords, tenants, purchasers, sellers, lenders, investors and developers. He provides these services to commercial and residential clients alike.
Sam credits the development of his adaptation skills to his experience as a trans man. He also considers himself blessed in the way his journey developed, so he pays it forward by devoting a considerable amount of his time volunteering in and for the transgender community. Sam provides support in a variety of ways by volunteering at Name and Gender Change Clinics throughout Ohio, serving on the board of a Cincinnati-based non-profit dedicated to supporting transgender youth and their families, and speaking to many different facets of both the community at large and the trans community.
While he faced his share of adversity in transitioning, the challenges were still propped up by his privilege, and Sam recognizes many transgender individuals face considerably different circumstances. In conveying the details of his experience and lending his time to the community, he hopes to provide (from one vantage point, at least) a resource for those without one.
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2015)
- University of Dayton Law Review, publication editor and board member (2014 - 2015)
- Dean’s Fellow (2014 - 2015)
- CALI Awards (top grade): Real Property I; Constitutional Law; Legal Profession II (legal writing course); Entertainment Law; Fundamentals of Evidence; and Interviewing, Counseling & Negotiation
- Wright State University (B.A., cum laude, 2012)
- Dean's list
- Dayton Bar Association, Real Property Committee, past chair (2016 - 2018)
- University of Dayton School of Law, adjunct professor
- Ohio State Bar Association
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Equitas Health Name and Gender Change Clinics, volunteer
- Living with Change Organization, Board of Directors