Matt’s litigation practice focuses on commercial, transportation and general civil defense. He has federal and state trial experience and has practiced before West Virginia’s federal and state appellate courts, such as the United States Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals.
A lifelong sports fan, Matt applies the team concept to his practice, with a goal of working with clients to better understand their businesses and goals in order to best counsel them.
His experience includes railroad litigation, including derailment claims and Federal Employers’ Liability Act litigation. He also represents clients in complex commercial and business litigation, including corporate and contract disputes, consumer credit protection claims, professional liability claims representing lawyers, insurance brokers and real estate professionals.
Matt has written scholarship pieces concerning the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and has been published in a number of venues, including the UCLA Entertainment Law Review (2009) and the Dayton Law Review (2010). Prior to attending law school he worked as a sports reporter for several media outlets, including the Associated Press, MLB.com and the Charleston Daily Mail, where he was named the state’s Best Sports Columnist in 2006.
- West Virginia University College of Law (J.D., 2009)
- Order of the Coif
- West Virginia Law Review, Vol. 111, senior managing editor
- CALI Awards for Civil Procedure, Pre-Trial Litigation, Legal Research and Writing, Appellate Advocacy, Employment Law, Health Care Torts
- Marshall University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2004)
- Print Journalism
- West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, College of Railroad Trial Advocacy
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- West Virginia State Bar, Young Lawyers, Executive Committee
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Tri-State Inc., board member
- Marshall University Quarterback Club, board member
- W. Page Pitt School of Journalism and Mass Communications at Marshall University, Advisory Committee
- Marshall University Alumni Association, past Board of Directors
- Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Committee, Community Development, past chair
- Leadership West Virginia Class of 2019
- West Virginia Rising Stars®
- Generation Huntington Award for dedication to community
- Elected Cabell and Wayne Co. Representative for the West Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers’ Executive Committee