Vanessa handles all varieties of employment challenges for clients, ranging from discrimination and retaliation issues to on-the-job injuries.
She is experienced handling and counseling clients on complex issues involving Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Kentucky Civil Rights Act, and other state and federal employment statutes. She also defends employers in administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Kentucky Commission on Human Rights, the Kentucky Division of Unemployment Insurance, in state and federal litigation, and has argued before the Kentucky Court of Appeals. Vanessa’s counsel includes drafting and updating employee handbooks, overseeing on-site investigations into issues such as discrimination and retaliation, and advising clients regarding employee job terminations and compliance with state and federal employment laws.
Vanessa’s practice also includes defending employers in workers' compensation matters. She is adept at reviewing and evaluating workers’ compensation claims and medical records while counseling clients on the law. She represents clients on issues ranging from minimal injuries to permanent total disability.
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., 2013)
- Moot Court Board
- Kentucky Journal of Equine, Agriculture & Natural Resources Law
- Marshall University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2010)
- Political Science
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Maryhurst, Associate Board member
- Leadership Louisville Center, Ignite Louisville, Class of 2018
- Young Professionals Association of Louisville
- Dress for Success Louisville, past volunteer and mentor
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Louisville, past big sister
- Louisville Urban League Young Professionals, past member, past Policies and Procedures Committee
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association