Clayton focuses his practice on commercial litigation and handles a variety of cases across industries, including banking, energy and natural resources, insurance, communications, and waste management. He has successfully defended businesses and individuals against claims involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, lemon law, legal malpractice, negligence, and various other causes of action.
He has a wide range of litigation experience, including pre-suit investigations, case assessment and development, pleadings, high volume discovery, complex motions practice, and settlement negotiations. He also has experience with expedited litigation involving temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions.
Clayton represents clients in both state and federal court throughout West Virginia. He also regularly appears before the Public Service Commission of West Virginia where he represents public utilities, landfills, motor carriers, transfer stations, telecommunications carriers, and other clients. In addition, Clayton is a member of the CJA Panel for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia where he represents individuals in criminal cases who are financially unable to retain counsel.
He received his J.D. from West Virginia University College of Law, where he was a member of the Land Use and Sustainable Development Law Clinic, and his B.A. from Texas A&M University.
- West Virginia University College of Law (J.D., 2018)
- Texas A&M University (B.A., 2014)
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Generation West Virginia Fellowship, Class of 2023
- Charleston Area Alliance
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia, Young Lawyer Committee
- Ducks Unlimited, Vandalia Chapter
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
- Texas Aggie Bar Association
- The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation, Scholarship Review Committee
- Up Next Charlie West
- West Virginia State Bar Association
- Best Lawyers®
- "Ones to Watch" in Charleston for Commercial Litigation (2024)