Tip's practice focuses on complex corporate, administrative law and litigation matters involving utilities, life science companies, financial institutions and other regulated industries.
His primary area of practice has been focused on the utility arena, where he has accumulated a thorough knowledge of utility law as it relates to the telecommunications, energy, electric, water, gas, and sewage industries. Understanding that each industry carries a unique culture and language, Tip has utilized his depth and breadth of experience to quickly help his clients resolve issues that arise from time to time with regulators, other utilities, and customers. As former in-house counsel for a large national competitive local exchange carrier, he is attuned to the business concerns driving the legal process and represents clients zealously from that perspective. Tip has extensively represented rural cooperatives and a wide variety of other clients in commercial and regulatory disputes before state and federal courts, state public utility commissions, and other administrative and trade bodies. He has a particular interest in helping clients implement advanced technology and innovation in the utility industries.
Tip also assists clients in the life sciences and healthcare industries with various local clinical research, regulatory and corporate matters. He has a concrete knowledge of the various regulatory, financial, intellectual property, and related business and legal issues that impact drug/device development, and he enjoys counseling these companies as they develop their business and/or position themselves for the acquisition process.
He has assisted large financial institutions with various regulatory compliance and litigation matters. He understands the industry, and he has also been successful in resolving acrimonious estate litigation, as well as complex patent litigation. Tip has also advised clients regarding safety and soundness audits, as well as complex regulatory questions involving Regulation Z and the Truth in Lending Act.
- University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2000)
- Tulane University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1996)
- Glendy Burke Medal of Honor in Speech
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Kentucky Public Service Commission, Rules of Procedure Advisory Group
- Electric Cooperative Bar Association (ECBA)
- Kentucky Rising Stars® (2013 - 2015)