Joe’s practice focuses on leading internal investigations, responding to government inquiries, and defending large corporations in lawsuits brought under the federal False Claims Act (FCA) throughout the United States. He has nearly 15 years of government investigation experience and has responded to Civil Investigative Demands, subpoenas, and requests for information involving the Department of Justice, DoD IG, DCIS, AFOSI, FBI, CIA, NASA, National Reconnaissance Office, Department of the Interior, DCAA, and DCMA. He has successfully persuaded DOJ and other government agencies to decline intervention and/or terminate their investigations on favorable terms in these matters, which include cases implicating billions of dollars in alleged damages and numerous high-profile, high dollar defense programs.
An experienced FCA litigator, Joe has defeated claims brought by the United States in government-intervened cases. He has won numerous non-intervened cases, too, including obtaining dismissals of qui tam suits prior to discovery. Joe has represented defense contractors in investigations and litigation and has also represented DOE contractors, health care entities, pharmaceutical companies, and financial services institutions. He has conducted training for in-house legal departments on government investigations and FCA litigation, including how to mitigate liability and damages in future proceedings through effective communication, and has led internal corporate compliance reviews.
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., 2005)
- University of Cincinnati (B.S., 2001)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Sycamore Advisory Commission
- Cincinnati United
- United Way Leaders in Giving
- Ohio Rising Stars® for Business Litigation