Melissa focuses her practice on health care law, corporate law, regulatory and compliance issues, and food and drug law. She advises clients on issues related to Stark Law, Anti-kickback issues, and various state law issues. Melissa enjoys helping clients solve multi-faceted legal issues, and her clients range from large health systems to ambulatory surgery centers to individual providers.
She has experience representing buyers and sellers in complex transactional matters. She also has advised clients in various employment matters, drafting and negotiating service agreements, federal and state agency compliance, clinical research compliance, and HIPAA matters. Melissa also has had extensive experience counseling a myriad of clients who are managing various operational issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In addition to her regulatory and transactional experience, Melissa has experience representing individual providers before state licensing boards and in various payor enrollment matters.
Prior to studying law she was a clinical research coordinator in women’s health and HIV/AIDS prevention. She managed clinical research protocols and conducted quality control and monitoring of domestic and international projects. She has been certified in clinical research (CCRP) and public health (CPH).
Before joining the firm, Melissa interned with Judge Michael Wojcik of the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court, worked at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law Health Law Clinic, served as a teaching assistant in the Health Care Compliance graduate certificate and legal writing programs, and worked for a nonprofit environmental law firm.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law (J.D., 2018)
- Health Law Certificate Program
- Journal of Law and Commerce, lead articles editor
- CALI Awards for Excellence in Legal Analysis and Writing and Conflict of Laws
- ABA-BNA Health Law Award
- Taintor Memorial Award
- Truxall Foundation Scholarship
- University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health (M.P.H., 2012)
- Health Policy and Management
- Duke University (B.S., 2006)
- Chemistry and Psychology
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Christopher’s Kitchen, board member
- National Board of Public Health Examiners, certification exam item writer
- Ross Township Building Appeals Board, member
- Duke Alumni Association
- North Hills Community Outreach, Board member
- Allegheny County District 1 Difference Maker Award, 2020