Michael, who goes by Misha, focuses his practice on land use and business litigation. In land use matters, Misha often represents commercial real estate developers and property owners in connection with obtaining government approvals to permit land development, including rezonings, variances, vacations, and plat approvals. In recent years, his practice has included working on high profile mixed use and infill projects, such as Ironworks Phase I Mixed Use Development, Ironworks Phase II Boutique Hotel and Retail Development, redevelopment of former AT&T office/switch gear facility, Reliant Building rezoning and associated variances to permit new commercial building, Delicia Restaurant rezoning and variances, and Bent Rail Brewery rezoning and variances. Misha previously served as chairman of the Indianapolis Bar Association’s Real Estate and Land Use Committee. For many years, he served as a member of the Broad Ripple Village Association’s Land Use and Development Committee.
In addition, Misha often represents national and regional commercial real estate developers and property owners in litigated matters. Those may include land use, boundary disputes, disputes with tenants, condemnation, purchase agreements, and shareholder disputes. He also defends multi-family housing owners and property managers in fair housing discrimination claims.
Misha also represents employers in cases involving sex, age, and race discrimination; sexual harassment; and the Americans with Disabilities Act. He is often involved in actions when injunctive relief is sought in non-competition agreements and protection of trade secrets and proprietary information. He advises and counsels employers on proper employee policies and handling the day-to-day issues that confront human resources professionals.
He has tried cases to the bench and to juries in both state and federal court. He lectures at employment law seminars and has written several published legal articles.
- Indiana University (J.D.)
- DePauw University (B.A.)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Executive Committee – Real Estate and Land Use
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (DTCI)
- Employment Law Section, past board member and chairman
- Indianapolis Bar Association’s Homeless Project, pro-bono legal services
- Joy’s House Adult Day Service, Board of Directors,
- Stanley K. Lacy Executive Leadership Series, Class XXXV
- Sagamore American Inn of Court, treasurer
- Nicholas H. Noyes, Jr. Memorial Foundation, board member
- Best Lawyers®
- “Lawyer of the Year,” Litigation – Real Estate, Indianapolis (2018, 2023)
- Land Use and Zoning Law (2013 - 2019, 2022-2024)
- Litigation – Labor and Employment (2013 - 2019, 2022-2024)
- Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate (2013 - 2019, 2022-2024)
- Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law (2022-2024)
- Indiana Super Lawyers®
- Business Litigation, Land Use/Zoning, Employment Litigation (2011 - 2019, 2021)
- Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, Defense Trial Council (2001)
- Mayor’s Volunteer Partnership Award given for exceptional volunteer contributions to the Indianapolis community (1995)