Mike has both the knowledge and track record to help you resolve disputes through mediation.
With more than 40 years of experience as an attorney and hundreds of successful mediations, he uses a tried and true approach that enables both parties to comfortably maneuver through the process toward resolution while ensuring their interests are protected. He understands mediation involves compromise and negotiation and prepares each party with a preparation guide to ensure the process remains on track and consistent through the mediation. This approach results in a better than 80 percent success rate in settling disputes.
A neutral for the American Arbitration Association (AAA) since 1992, Mike has successfully mediated and artbitrated employment-related claims and commercial disputes, litigation involving discrimination laws, contract and non-compete issues, wrongful discharge claims, construction, and domestic relations. He recently served as chair of the Cincinnati Bar ADR Committee and is a frequent speaker on mediation and conflict resolution. He also taught Mediation and Conflict Resolution at Xavier University in Cincinnati for three years.
Mike uses his career experiences to establish credibility and build trust throughout the mediation process. As an attorney, he has experience in labor and employment matters, handling a variety of cases in courts through the country, including two before the U.S. Supreme Court. Licensed in Ohio and Kentucky, Mike will meet clients in various cities in both states.
He cares about people. He is well-known for his humanitarian actions, including countless mission trips on behalf of Refugees International and the American Red Cross. Balancing his legal experience and a compassion for serving others, Mike has served as chair of the Cincinnati Human Relations Committee and Bridges for a Just Community, where he demonstrated a unique ability to connect with a diverse group of people to reach a common ground.
These experiences help Mike relate to others' needs and build the trust needed to reach win-win solutions for the parties in mediation.
Key Training and Qualifications
- EEOC Mediator Training
- American Arbitration Association
- Mediator and Arbitrator Certificate
- ALFA International EPLI Conference
- International Center for Dispute Resolution Neutrals Conference Dispute Resolution of Employee Claims
- Harvard Law School
- Advanced Mediator Workshop and Negotiation
- Pepperdine-Strass Institute for Conflict Resolution
- Mediation Training: Art of Facilitation Settlement
- Center for Resolution of Dispute Mediation Training
- Xavier University
- Taught Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- Northern Kentucky University ADR Center (2018)
- Co-instructor — FMCS Mediation Training
- AAA Mediation Training (2015, 2016, 2018)
- American Bar Association
- Dispute Resolution Section
- Center for Dispute Resolution
- National Employment Mediation Services Society of Professionals in Dispute Resolution AAA Employment Law and Commercial Panel
- Arbitrator and mediator
- Association for Conflict Resolution Cincinnati Bar Association
- Former chair, ADR Committee
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Ohio and Kentucky