Dinsmore’s Public Finance Group Approves Over $5 Billion in 2021 Deals
Dinsmore & Shohl LLP demonstrated the strength of its public finance practice by maintaining its top-20 position nationally, attaining higher placements in Pennsylvania and Illinois than in years past and, for the second year in a row, ranking first overall in Kentucky in The Bond Buyer 2021 rankings.
Thomson Reuters compiles transaction data for bond counsel services for The Bond Buyer.
Nationally, Dinsmore clinched a top-20 spot, serving as bond counsel on 238 deals totaling $5.1 billion.
“Except for a brief stoppage in the early days of the pandemic, the municipal bond market set records for volume in both 2020 and 2021,” said Dinsmore Finance Department Chair Tom Wilson. “As The Bond Buyer rankings show, our public finance practice certainly reflected that increased activity. We are proud to be able to assist our clients in reaching their financing goals and are grateful for the trust they have placed in us. I would be remiss if I didn’t recognize the incredible job our attorneys and staff did in working through all the various issues related to the pandemic in order get transactions completed. I’m honored to work with such dedicated professionals on a daily basis.”
Dinsmore claimed the No. 1 spot as underwriter’s counsel in the Mideast for long-term new municipal issues, with 19 transactions totaling $2.4 billion. The firm was ranked 17th overall for underwriter’s counsel with 45 deals totaling $3.2 billion. Other rankings include:
- Second as underwriter’s counsel for pollution control long-term municipal new issues, with a 20.6% market share;
- Third overall in Ohio with 72 issues totaling $2.4 billion;
- Fourth in Pennsylvania with the highest number of issues, up from fifth in the state the year prior;
- Sixth as bond counsel for solid waste resource recovery long-term municipal new issues;
- Seventh as underwriter’s counsel for higher education long-term municipal new issues, totaling $943.9 million;
- Eighth as bond counsel for public power long-term municipal new issues, totaling $509.8 million;
- Eleventh overall in Colorado; and
- Eleventh-ranked bond counsel in Illinois – significant progress from 28th in 2020.
Dinsmore is a nationally recognized municipal bond counsel firm, which delivers approving opinions with respect to hundreds of tax-exempt financings, aggregating billions of dollars each year. Firm attorneys serve as bond counsel for a variety of government borrowers, including state and municipal governments, as well as school districts and universities. In addition, the firm serves as bond counsel for many health care, 501(c)(3), multi-family and single-family financings.