Brooks focuses his practice on corporate matters, assisting clients in various governance matters and contract negotiations to ensure clients meet all of their business goals. He knows contracts are essential in preventing problems for clients and his experience includes reviewing and drafting governance documents, supply agreements, and software licensing agreements. Brooks understands and enjoys the importance this counsel has on the growth of a client’s business and potential positioning for the acquisition process.
He also has significant experience representing public utilities across the Commonwealth and beyond, providing a wide range of services to guide clients through operational and regulatory issues. Brooks’ experience with electric utilities includes representing generation and transmission cooperatives in regulatory filings, as well as providing counsel to numerous distribution cooperatives and the statewide organization for distribution cooperatives regarding various operational and regulatory issues. In addition, he has significant experience in the telecommunications industry, representing local exchange carriers, wireless telephone providers, and telecommunications infrastructure providers in numerous business matters and regulatory filings. In conjunction with his representation of utilities, Brooks has negotiated numerous agreements with state and local governments and agencies, including assisting clients in traversing the public bid process.
Brooks also has experience helping clients navigate both the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act, including handling compliance matters. His familiarity with the acts’ detailed rules enables him to help clients with their cases from start to finish, with a focus on avoiding costly litigation.
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 2013)
- Kentucky Law Journal, online editor
- Bellarmine University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2010)
- Economics & Political Science
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- Young Professionals Association of Louisville, Emerging Leaders Program
- Kentucky Rising Star®
- For Credit Debtor Rights (2021)
- Best Lawyers®
- "Ones to Watch" in Louisville for Commercial Litigation (2022)