Robert Schein focuses his practice on construction, governmental, municipal and real estate law and has extensive experience with construction owners, developers and contractors, municipalities and governments. Rob has represented numerous owners (public and private), contractors, designers, manufacturers and suppliers in all aspects of construction projects and disputes, including litigation, arbitration, contract dispute resolution, and contract negotiation and contract dispute avoidance. Rob has considerable experience involving noteworthy construction projects, including roads and bridges, hospitals and surgery centers, manufacturing plants, mixed-use projects, city, state and federal public works projects, commercial projects, schools and universities, alternative energy projects, performing arts centers, parks and trails and sporting facilities. Rob has pursued and defended all types of complex claims including claims for defects, delay, acceleration, bonds and liens, change orders, termination and breach of contract that have ranged from several thousand dollars to claims in excess of one hundred million dollars.
Having been involved in all aspects of the dispute process has provided valuable experience in managing risk when drafting and negotiating contracts both for public entities and private ones.
Rob also represents municipalities and governmental entities in all facets of their legal needs. He has served as City attorney and outside legal counsel to the city councils and other boards, including redevelopment commission, plan commission, board of zoning appeals, economic development corporation, parks board and community development corporation. His experience has included general counsel roles of managing legal needs, contract drafting and negotiating, drafting and review of ordinances and resolutions for City government, drafting and negotiating construction and economic development agreements, managing and handling litigation involving construction, employment, land use, annexation, zoning and general contract dispute matters. Rob has also been involved in a number of economic development and public finance projects, and has been involved from the conception of providing various incentives for those projects through completion.
Rob has additionally represented all types of businesses involving general day-to-day business needs and issues, as well as specific growth needs. One of the most enjoyable aspects of Rob’s practice is being able to meet with clients and their team in order to understand better their businesses and their needs. Rob finds this aspect as critical in being able to assist clients in accomplishing their goals and solving their problems.
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Indiana University (B.A., 1992)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Supreme Court of Indiana
- Boone County, Indiana Economic Development Corporation Board, 2012-2018; 2013-2016 (Executive Committee)
- Indiana State Bar Association - Construction & Surety Law Section, 2004 - 2006 (treasurer); 2006 - 2008 (secretary); 2010 (vice chair); 2011 - 2012 (chair-elect); 2012 - 2014 (chair); 2015 - 2016 (immediate past-chair)
- Zionsville Boys & Girls Club Board, 2011 - present; 2014- 2015 (vice president); 2017 - 2020 (president); 2021-present (executive committee)
- Zionsville Precinct Committeemen, 2005-present
- Zionsville Consolidation Transition Committee Member - Member of Governance and Land Use Subcommittees, 2008-2009
- American Bar Association - Forum on the Construction Industry, Litigation, and Real Property Sections (member)
- Indiana State Bar Association - Construction Law, Litigation and Probate and Real Estate Sections (member)
- Indianapolis Bar Association- Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section (member)
- Boone County and Hamilton County Bar Association (member)
- Zionsville Presbyterian Church (member and former Member of Hispanic Task Force Committee)
- Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic (volunteer)
- Several Local and Statewide Republican candidates (volunteer)
- Bruins Baseball Coach, 2016 - 2017
- Zionsville Baseball Club Coach, 2017 - 2019
- Zionsville Little League Baseball and Softball Coach, 2006 - 2015
- Zionsville Youth Soccer Association Coach
- Zionsville Youth Football League Coach, 2012 – 2018
- Indiana Super Lawyers®, 2014-2023
- "Distinguished Hoosier Award" issued by Governor Mitch Daniels, 2010
- Indiana Rising Stars®, 2009-2010