Counseled Brewery through Trademark Challenge
Our client, Moonlight Brewing Company, filed an application with the U.S. Trademark Office for their brand MOONLIGHT for their beer. A restaurant named Moonlite BBQ filed a surprise opposition to try to stop Moonlight Brewing from registering their name. Though the restaurant had not sold a beer branded MOONLIGHT, it aggressively pushed forward with the opposition. The restaurant also claimed their name recognition entitled them to our client’s trademark. We worked closely with and guided Moonlight Brewing through a lengthy and hard fought proceeding before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, including a rare oral argument before the board. We ultimately received a complete and favorable ruling for Moonlight, including on a Request for Reconsideration filed by the restaurant to try to overturn the decision.
Providing Freedom to Focus on Business
Hiring Dinsmore means the partners of HealthScape Advisors could focus on their business instead of worrying about whether the legal needs of their company were being handled properly. HealthScape is a health care consulting firm that has to stay up to speed with constant changes in health care and intellectual property laws. They’ve continued working with Dinsmore since 2014 because we understand these changes and what they mean for HealthScape’s business. We also assisted HealthScape when they decided to split part of their business off into a new company, Pareto Intelligence, which handles analytics and technology services.
“They truly understand our business and what we’re trying to accomplish,” said Managing Partner John Steele.
Outside General Counsel to a Growing Brand
When Kenny McNutt, Brady Duncan and Jeff Hunt had a dream to open their own craft brewery, they sought legal guidance from Dinsmore. By the time Cincinnati’s MadTree Brewing opened in 2013, our attorneys had already played a significant role in its development – from helping to raise the original capital to structuring and executing loan financing.
“Dinsmore gives peace of mind and guides us through murky waters,” said McNutt. “They’re reputable, and I always know I get the best answer for the information available at the time.”
Today, Dinsmore serves as MadTree’s outside general counsel, advising on contracts, real estate, trademark, employment matters, securities and other legal needs as they arise.
“They have every facet we need, and they’re super easy to work with,” added McNutt. “I recommend them whenever anyone asks. They’re trustworthy, really, really good and well worth the peace of mind.”
MadTree was the first modern craft brewery to can its beer in Ohio, and, within four short years, the brewery had grown so significantly they opened an $18 million facility to accommodate larger crowds and increased demand for production. Dinsmore attorneys were with them every step of the way.
Trademark Infringement Litigation
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Enforcement
IP Licensing/Agreement Experience
Development Agreements (70)
- Independent Contractor Agreements (15)
- Talent Agreements (15)
- Presenter Agreements and Content Provider Agreements (10)
- Joint Ownership Agreements (10)
- Production Agreements (10)
- Employee Invention Policy and Agreements (5)
- Joint Development Agreements (5)
Litigation-related/Dispute Agreements (55)
- Pre-Litigation Settlement Agreements (15)
- Trademark Trial & Appeal Board Settlements (15)
- Co-Existence Agreements (10)
- Litigation Settlement Agreements – Patent Disputes (5)
- Litigation Settlement Agreements – Trademark Disputes (5)
- Joint Defense Agreements (5)
License Agreements (155)
- Software License Agreements (35)
- Patent License Agreements (35)
- Trademark License Agreements (20)
- End User License Agreements (15)
- Subscription Agreements (10)
- Software as a Service (SaaS Agreements (10)
- Channel Partner Agreements (10)
- Pilot Agreements (10)
- Copyright License Agreements (5)
- OEM License Agreements (5)
IT-related Agreements (170)
- Healthcare-related IT Agreements (30)
- Software IT Agreements (25)
- Hardware IT Agreements (25)
- Master Client/Service Agreements (25)
- Support and Maintenance IT Agreements (15)
- Reseller Agreements (15)
Research Agreements (55)
- Advanced Research Agreements (25)
- Materials Transfer (20)
- Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (10)
Misc. Agreements (55)
- Non-Disclosure Agreements (25)
- Participant Agreements (10)
- Exclusive Sales Representation Agreements (5)
- Termination Agreements (5)
- Domain Purchase Agreements (5)
- Domain Escrow Agreements (5)
Partnership Agreement between Maker Studios and Tribeca Enterprises
Since Picture Show’s launch in April of 2013, Dinsmore has continued to provide counsel to Maker on talent and other production agreements which implicate intellectual property issues that are at the forefront of the entertainment industry. We also have advised Maker on a number of other intellectual property issues, including providing clearance, fair use and trademark opinions.
This partnership, which blends Maker’s avant-garde style with Tribeca’s traditional cinematic focus, represents a landmark step in the digital media world for actors, content creators and viewers alike. Dinsmore is proud to have played a role in helping Maker take this monumental step.