With over 35 years of experience, David began his practice in Minneapolis, Minnesota at a full-service firm in the litigation department focusing on insurance defense, product liability, employment law, and railroad litigation before becoming the youngest partner in the history of the firm. Since returning to his roots in Kentucky, he has enjoyed a multi-faceted legal career.
Working primarily as a litigator, David has tried many cases to a jury in state and federal courts covering a wide range of claims including toxic tort, bad faith, defamation, wrongful death, FELA, traumatic brain injury, large-scale property exposures, and other tort and commercial disputes. He has also defended personal and corporate clients against claims for professional liability, fraud, employment discrimination, product liability, and transportation claims and regularly advises on and litigates insurance coverage issues. David has been retained to act as appellate counsel in cases reaching the Supreme Court of Kentucky and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals where the decisions have had far-reaching consequences for the client and the related area of law.
He has defended corporate and insurance clients throughout the southeast and Midwest, and has represented companies in addressing investigations brought by state attorney-generals and departments of insurance. Though his practice involves defending class actions on enterprise-wide issues, he also provides advice to smaller local businesses clients on employment and contract issues. David is passionate about vigorously but fairly representing his clients in court and providing real life solutions to keep them out of court. Prior to joining Dinsmore, David worked at a mid-sized litigation firm and was involved in all management aspects of the firm.
- Vanderbilt University Law School (J.D., 1988)
- Indiana University (B.A., with distinction, 1985)
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- Kentucky Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Louisville Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Kentucky Defense Counsel, Board of Directors
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rating
- Best Lawyers©
- "Lawyer of the Year" in Louisville for Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants (2013)
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition
- Kentucky Super Lawyers