Jim represents clients in complex matters involving multiple parties arising from product liability, construction, and environmental claims. His work includes multiple multi-district litigation matters in federal court.
His construction law experience includes counseling, contract drafting, and negotiation. As a litigator, he has experience with bench and jury trials, and handles appeals before the Indiana Supreme Court and Indiana Court of Appeals. He also resolves cases through alternative dispute resolution using both mediation and arbitration.
Jim understands the importance of applying appropriate technology to reduce costs and serve clients, and he has dealt with e-discovery on a variety of matters. These include negotiations about search terms; the format of data from complex databases; as well as protective orders and court arguments about those issues along with data privacy and sanctions.
He has published several articles on Indiana law and has presented on topics including product liability and e-discovery in multiple forums, including the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana annual meeting and the A.M. Best Podcast Series.
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law (J.D.)
- Hanover College (B.A.)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Indiana Bar Associations
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Defense Research Institute
- Best Lawyers®,
- "Lawyer of the Year" in Indianapolis for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action - Defendants (2021, 2023)
- Defense-Mass Torts and Defense-Product Liability (2018 - 2021, 2023)
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants (2019 - 2022, 2023)
- Product Liability Litigation – Defendants (2022, 2023)
- AV® Peer Review Rating with High Ethical Standing by Martindale Hubbell®
- Rising Stars® (2011 and 2012)
- Indiana Super Lawyers® (2019 - present)
- Association of Certified Electronic Discovery Specialists (ACEDS) (2017-present)
- Outstanding Section Leader, Product Liability Section, The Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (2004)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (2021)