Jim is a third-generation Orlandoan, raised in a family brimming with lawyers and judges. His 40 years of practice have enabled him to serve clients in numerous domains, such as business law, intellectual property, media law, eminent domain, and general civil litigation, including IP, trade secrets, real estate, contracts, and construction. His breadth of engagement and experience enables him to delve into a client’s concerns to identify problems and solutions.
Jim has represented a wide variety of clients, including hospitals, physicians, pharmacies, newspapers, law firms, and companies in other sectors. In this role, he has garnered experience drafting contracts and materials for use by clients in developing and operating their businesses. These include employment contracts, confidentiality and non-compete agreements, and software sales and licensing agreements. His experience also includes representing landowners and governments in condemnation matters and include complex cases involving millions of dollars.
He knows that you can write a better contract if you have litigated over one, and you are a better contract litigator if you also draft them. He has handled cases at the trial and appellate stages in these areas, and represented clients before regulatory bodies and in arbitration. He has extensive experience serving as an Arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association in commercial and construction disputes.
Jim plays an active role in his community, having served on Orlando’s Board of Zoning Adjustment and Public Art Advisory Board. He also has leadership roles in several business organizations, including the Downtown Orlando Partnership and the Downtown Arts District. Jim is an ambassador for Orlando and the local arts scene, as well as a skilled legal advisor and problem solver.
- University of Florida (J.D., 1982)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., 1974)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Orange County Bar Association, Intellectual Property Committee
- The Florida Bar, Eminent Domain Committee
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Downtown Arts District, Director/Officer
- Central Florida Theatre Alliance, Founding Board Member