As chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property department, Josh helps companies and innovators make intelligent decisions about their intellectual property rights and protect the ultimate value of their business — from IP prosecution to IP audits/due diligence to IP litigation and licensing. His work spans a variety of technologies, including chemical/materials, electrical engineering and computer arts. He has tried IP litigation matters to decision, conducted claim construction (Markman) hearings, led and consulted in post grant proceedings and represented clients before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He also has unique experience in licensing matters, negotiating hundreds of technology agreements for multiple clients, including dozens of Cooperative Research and Development Agreements with National Laboratories and Research Agreements with Universities.
Josh’s experience in IP law has led to exciting work, including being entrusted to handle a variety of IP matters for international clients, such as Corning, LexisNexis (a division of RELX Group) and Toyota. In fact, he is currently serving as acting patent counsel for RELX Group, a global publisher and provider of workflow and business solutions. In his role as “in-house counsel,” Josh is able to get a unique perspective of the IP challenges faced by multi-national corporations, which has solidified his practical approach to problem solving and enhanced the quality of service to clients.
Additionally, he is the chair of the Finance Committee at Dinsmore, as well as serving as the practice group chair for Dinsmore’s IP Litigation and Licensing practice groups, where he manages the firm’s service in IP litigation, as well as trademark, copyright, privacy and social media matters. Since joining Dinsmore, Josh has been a driver behind the growth of the firm’s IP practice, which has grown to more than 80 attorneys today. Through aggressive recruiting and focused mentoring, he has increased the number of attorneys by bringing in partner and associate laterals from local, regional and national firms that strengthen the services offered by Dinsmore.
Early in his career, Josh served for Michael R. Merz, magistrate for the United States District Court for Southern District of Ohio. Today, he helps recruit and mentor the next generation of Dinsmore attorneys, and he is a strong advocate for their professional development. Aside from his legal practice, Josh enjoys competitive running, competing in local and regional running events each year.
His knowledge of IP law has led to a variety of speaking engagements over the last year, including focused presentations on process such as IP prosecution efficiencies and substance such as the impacts of the recently-passed America Invents Act and the new Office of Enrollment and Discipline Rules.
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D.)
- Ohio University (B.S.)
- Ohio University (B.A.)
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Intellectual Property Litigation Section
- Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- PTAB Bar Association
- Licensing Executives Society
- International Trademark Association
- Cincinnati Area Senior Services, Board of Directors (2010 - 2013)
- United Way of Greater Cincinnati, Tocqueville Society
- Cincinnati C-Change (2010 Class 5)
- Cincinnati Zoo
- Board of Directors
- Visitor Engagement Committee
- Finance Committee
- Hamilton County Central Committee, precinct chair
- Leadership Cincinnati, Class 38
- The Summit Country Day School
- Board of Trustees
- Development Committee
- Business Affairs Committee
- American Heart Association, Heart Ball Executive Leadership Team (2011 - 2012)
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Highlighted in Super Lawyers magazine (2013)
- University Of Dayton Francis J. Conte Special Service Award (2013)
- Chambers USA®: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Intellectual Property