Kurt focuses his practice on privacy, cybersecurity, data collection and usage, and technology issues. In that role, he advises clients on general corporate and administrative issues, regulatory compliance, and contract negotiations.
He also draws on his broad experience to help a wide variety of clients - ranging from start-up cloud service providers to Fortune 50 corporations - resolve complex issues relating to their technology, data security, data breach response, intellectual property, privacy, and marketing needs. He works closely with clients to develop strategies that help ensure compliance with state privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and New York Department of Financial Services Cybersecurity Regulation, as well as European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the CAN-SPAM Act, the FCC’s Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) regulations, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and related student privacy laws. He also drafts and negotiates service agreements and other commercial contracts that address complex privacy and data issues.
Kurt is an experienced litigator and represents clients in state and federal courts, as well as before administrative agencies. In 2011, he won a landmark case in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit against the Department of Justice, securing his client’s right to bring claims against the Department of Homeland Security for violations of the Privacy Act.
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Eastern Michigan University (B.S., magna cum laude, 2005)
- Telecommunications and Film
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Media Bridges
- Board of Trustees (president 2012 - 2013)
- Vice president (2011 - 2012)
- Member (2008 - 2011)
- Radio Free Queen City (WVQC-LPFM), Board of Advisors (2008 - 2012)
- The Ohio Center for Law-Related Education, (2009 - 2010), High School Mock Trial Case Committee co-chair (2010-2012)
- Xavier University, Media Law and Policy, adjunct professor (spring 2010, spring 2011)
- Rothenberg and Vine Elementary Schools, tutor (2008-2010)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
- Electric Cooperative Bar Association