Nivita focuses her practice on domestic and international trademark prosecution, enforcement and infringement, copyright, and e-commerce matters for multinational companies as well as small businesses. She advises on a wide range of trademark matters in the U.S. and international markets, and collaborates with law firms outside the U.S. regarding worldwide trademark protection. Nivita is skilled in developing and implementing global trademark strategies and cost-effective trademark portfolio management.
Her practice includes trademark clearance searches, opinions on availability of trademarks, advising on proper usage of marks and assessment of marketing materials, registration, maintenance and renewals of trademarks, pre-litigation enforcement including cease and desist letters and settlement agreements. Nivita also handles conducting due diligence review on behalf of purchasers of intellectual property rights, including trademarks and copyrights.
She has a keen interest in an increasingly booming area of intellectual property – online infringement on the Internet. Specifically, Nivita is experienced in domain and website-related investigations, and online brand policing and enforcement of infringement related to same. She further specializes in challenging infringing domain names through Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP), and cybersquatting actions. Nivita has been involved with securing and monitoring domain name registrations, and development of an effective brand strategy related to client’s Internet presence, as well as various infringement issues related to social media.
- University of Illinois Chicago School of Law (J.D., 1999)
- The Ohio State University (B.S., 1996)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- South Asian Bar Association – Michigan Chapter, Board Member (2010-Present) and Immediate Past President
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association